Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Lables are for soups, not people

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lables are for soups, not people
ShaddowBoxer
Neophyte
Member # 6734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShaddowBoxer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the deal. I like girls and guys. To different degrees. People sometimes ask me if I'm straight, lesbien or bi. I don't like lables because they tend to reflect negative emotions about MY sexual identity, which really isn't anyone's business.

Like some of the other posts I've read, I live a duel life style. I haven't "come out" to very many people because they really don't need to know. I don't plan on telling my parents anytime before I graduate from HS, not because they wouldn't support me but because I am sure they would apply the same rules to my girlfriends as they do my guyfriends. There are a lot of homophobes at my school and a lot of religious shunners. Fortunately for me there are over 2,000 students at my HS, so I can kind of get lost in the crowd. Not many of my friends suspect that I like girls because I have had so many male-female relationships. I just choose not to tell certain people. I have "come out" to specific female crushes and also to my long term boyfriends and better friends. But not many people know or need to. They don't even know me, why do they need to know about my (nonexistent) sex life?

Shaddow

Posts: 5 | From: Middle of Nowhere | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds really familiar. I can't put a label on my orientation. And I'm afraid that if I try and explain it to anyone (besides my girlfriend, who's been wonderfully supportive), they'll assume "cute" is a synonym for "sexy" and label me bi--and they still won't know who I am.

------------------
Sapphire Cat
The world needs me, to know not everyone is the same.
Artist, poet, programmer, dreamer, and crossdressing bondage kitty

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. It seems that people always need to label and define everything. I too am attracted more than one gender, in different ways and intensities, so people label me as bi. It's so annoying.
Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RachelsGurl7
Neophyte
Member # 6530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RachelsGurl7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Labels are for cans" ~ Anthony Rapp~
Posts: 4 | From: VA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.