Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » I thought I was a lesbian..?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I thought I was a lesbian..?
snarlkitty
Neophyte
Member # 6691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snarlkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I thought I was a lesbian.. and now I find myself attracted to mass numbers of FTMs. I have always known I was deeply attracted to a butch - I started saying that I could appreciate a femme, but only wanted a butch for a relationship. It seems like that level has been upped to transgenders.

Does this make me less of a lesbian?

------------------
hush up, little dirty girl.

Posts: 9 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not, just as girls liking MtF's doesn't make them less hetero. But that's just my guess

------------------
Sapphire Cat
You can love me or hate me, but it won't change who I am.

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, technically, it does make sense that it would make you less textbook lesbian, but who cares for rules anyway? You can identify however you choose. I have lots of trans friends, and I've seen their partners deal with this in different ways. One approach is to consider their partner an "exception" if otherwise they are only attracted to women. Of course, if you are mainly attracted to FTMs, it might be harder to consider them an exception. You might decide to consider them an exception as a group. Or you might change the way you identify to fit your attractions. I have a friend who identified as a lesbian for years, and then when her partner transitioned, starting identifying as bisexual so as not to exclude the person she was in love with from her sexual orientation. Another way to deal with all this, and my personal favorite, is to do away with the labeling in general. You can just be attracted to whoever you're attracted to, be a part of whatever community(ies) you feel comfortable in, and have that be that. Of course, it's all up to you, because there is no "Lesbian Rulebook"

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Truthfully, you're sexuality is what you define it as. There is no set mold that you have to fall into. People change, and over time, their sexuality can change too. It's completly natural evolution.

[edited for clarity]
------------------
Tim
ST Advocate

"Read the Bible again sometime. Women are painted as bigger antagonists than the Egyptians and Romans combined. It stinks." --"Serendipity," Dogma

[This message has been edited by Dude_who_writes (edited 01-24-2002).]

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.