Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » another question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: another question...
IloveJane
Neophyte
Member # 6501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IloveJane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Ok, so I know I am a lesbian, I can say it now!!!!! After keeping everything inside for so many years I want to tell people, but I don't know how. I will have no problem telling my Mom, she is great and accepting of almost anything. But my problem is still worrying about what everyone will say where I work. There are only 2 lesbians that work there, and everyone constantly makes fun of them and are disgusted with the whole thing. I want to have a relationship with Jane....sigh.... and she comes to where I work 3 times a week, if we ever do get together, it would be so rude to tell her I want to be with her, but I want to hide it from everyone else..... I almost feel like moving to a different state and starting all over, just let everyone know up front, but that is just running away from my problem, I know. I just don't know how to go about this. Do I hang a big sign in the breakroom at work? Attention All: Heather is a lesbian! Ya right, lol. Thank you all for your good advice.

Posts: 7 | From: Bangor, Maine, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggish
Activist
Member # 6370

Icon 7 posted      Profile for froggish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...so, I know I'm a little younger than you, but my best advice is to not come flying out of the closet. I did that in highschool...and nothing exactly frightening happened, but it definitely made me feel like people were thinking of me as the "gay girl", not as *me*. I think the best way to go about it is let people know if you want them to know, but don't broadcast it in a memo or anything. Think about how well you know them, if they *really* need to know, as well as how they feel about gay stuff in general. Also, think about how vulnerable you as a person are to what others think of you. I'm pretty...insecure...so I'm always thinking about that. However, if you let insults and teasing just roll off your back...
Allrighty. Good luck!! Congrats on coming out to yourself, that's the biggest step.

------------------
~*frog*~

Posts: 41 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.