Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Intersecting identities

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Intersecting identities
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sexual orientation is just one part of our identity, right? But how does it affect all those other parts?

I know for me, being bisexual often plays nicely with being kinky, and not as nicely with my religious Jewish family. In a different way, I feel more comfortable about my sexual orientation with a group of fat people, than I do about my body size in a group of queer people. How do your different identities interact with each other?

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The identities that are most important to me are my skier and ski-instructor bits. As far a being a skier goes, being bi fits in rather well. The people I ride with are very diverse so we're all used to accepting each other as we are (provided we can keep up on the hills of course ). It's a very intimate and physical environment simply because we're doing something that we love very much with others so being open about sex is a benefit.

However, as a ski instructor working for a resort owned by two reasonably conservative Catholic men I try to project a complete lack of sexuality on the job - unless I feel that a little casual flirting will knock some of the terror out of someone trying to learn. I don't know their opinions on the subject and that's not the way I want to find out.

The hard part is balancing the two; sometimes it's awkward to go talk to a friend who thinks of me as a sexual being immediately after spending the majority of my day being asexual.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find my sexuality (bi) really grates against my religeon. I'm anglican, but I really want to find which religeon is right for me.
I think it's more the threats of eternal damnation than anything. I'm sure Jesus was a great guy. I'm not sure he wanted a religeon formed around himself though. The condemnations in the old testament clash with Jesus' message of love etc.

I'm way off topic here, but this is the biggest hurdle I have to jump if I want to be who I am.

Hugs & Scully & Annabeth,
Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotbuttered101
Activist
Member # 5538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotbuttered101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm Jewish and basically believe in the old testament (don't worry...I have my hang-ups w/the religion but don't the majority of us have some sort of problem with theirs?). Any way...I would just like to say that I have never once heard from any religious speaker/rabbi etc. that homosexuality is immoral (okay..I have never heard them say anything about it). All I'm saying is that homosexuality is not preached against.I'm don't know what you have come across Poetgirl. I haven't come across that though. I was born orthodox and go to orthodox Shul (should go more often and am not very religious...any way) The Tanach(bible) may say that it's an abomination but then again...A hell of a lot of things are an abomination in the Bible. Normal, everday things we do in this day and age. I suppoose it's open to interpretation though. I know I'm totally off topic and I know that Gillians Girl wasn't implying anything. Sorry...I'm just interested in what you've come across poetgirl,referring to Judaism.

As for the real topic...I'm totally closeted so it's more like I have two lives(online-bi, world-straight) instead of intersecting identities. None of my 'identities'(1st-totally open, 2nd-partially hidden) really influence the other. Besides the fact that in the 'real' world I am very open about how I feel about homosexuality even though I'm not out.

Posts: 86 | From: South Africa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.