Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Okay, need tips...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Okay, need tips...
Buttercup
Neophyte
Member # 5760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buttercup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seriously thinking of coming out to my parents as bi tonight, does anyone have any tips on how to do it gently enough so I won't have to deal with a double heart attack??

------------------
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away - and barefoot.

Posts: 25 | From: Israel | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the wonderful world of coming out. There's really no universial way that you can come out to your parents and not have them freak out. It just depends on your parents. For some help, though, check out the great article Don't Let the Door Hit You On the Way Out!.

Also, check the Search Function, because this topic has undoubtedly been discussed before.

[Edited for Clairity]
------------------
Tim (a.k.a. the dude)
-------------------------
"I am man who has grown from a son
Been crucified by enraged women
I am son who was raised by such men
I'm often reminded of the fools I'm among...
I am a man who still does what he can
to dispel our archaic reputation
I am a man who has heard all he can
Cause I don't fare well with endless punishment..." -- Alanis Morissette ("A Man")

[This message has been edited by Dude_who_writes (edited 12-09-2001).]

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buttercup
Neophyte
Member # 5760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buttercup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I just did it, god knows how, but I just did. They didn't have a heart attack, and in fact they were quite cool about it (they actually used to term "enjoy both worlds"!), but they think it's just a phase. They wanted to know that I still like guys and didn't rule them out. They told me that they love me no matter what.
My heart's still pounding a 100 miles per hour...

------------------
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away - and barefoot.

Posts: 25 | From: Israel | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good for you!!!!!!!!! im glad that yoy got the reaction you wanted and that your parents support you even though they think it is just a phase. i wish that everyone was like your parents.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty pryde
Neophyte
Member # 6193

Icon 6 posted      Profile for kitty pryde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Buttercup, that's always great to hear. You've got some very cool parents, and I bet they'll come to accept that it's not a phase once you give them a little time. Congratulations!
Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How awesome! Go Buttercup! I'm really happy for you and the fact that you're parents were really cool with it.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 14 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo-hoo! *huge hug* Coming out to anyone always takes some guts but parents are the hardest. I'm glad everything went so well.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good on you!

It takes guts and you have 'em!

Hugs & Scully,
Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buttercup
Neophyte
Member # 5760

Thanks guys!
I'm still a bit overwhelmed... My mom told me this morning that it doesn't matter who
I end up spending my life with as long as it's someone who make me happy
God I love my parents

------------------

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 7 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eeep! Congratulations, Buttercup!

Very happy to hear that you got such a positive initial reaction from your parents. Like Kitty, I bet they'll soon realise that this isn't "just a phase". So nice to hear that what matters to them is primarily that you are happy.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.