Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » How to tell (them)...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to tell (them)...
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do I come out at school?

Anyone have any tips or advice to make this a little less scary?

Edited because of my severe lack of eloquence.

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 09-19-2001).]

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
violet
Neophyte
Member # 4577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, first of all, how old are you, because that makes a big difference. and has anybody come out in your school that you know of? its really a question of sussing out the territory, and whether its actually gonna be dangerous or just uncomfortable. i came out properly when i was 16, but that was probably easier because i started at college ( british school system, 16-18) and so nobody already new me. it wasn't some big announcement type thing, it just came up in conversation with a few different people, and then everybody seemed to know. the only tip i can really give is don't make a huge deal out of it. ok, so to you it might be really important ( and thats cool) but if you act like its nothing shocking or unusual, than that really tends to spread to other people. whatever you decide, good luck. x
Posts: 29 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzpenguin
Activist
Member # 5272

Icon 12 posted      Profile for jazzpenguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to tell you that I'm in the same position. I have been for a while. The only advice I can give you, is make sure that if you tell somebody in confidence, make sure you can trust them. Two of the three people who I told at school (I have friends outside school who know) that I'm gay have told other people, which means some of the more homophobic people know(damn!) Just tell people when YOU feel like it - don't feel that at any time you have an obligation to do so. (Unless of cource some Ewan McGregor look-a-like comes along wearing a T-Shirt saying "I'm Gay," at which point I'd happily come out right there.....)

------------------
jz

Posts: 59 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coming out at school never seems to be easy. When I first realized I was bi I wanted to tell everyone. Unfortunately I live in an area that is not very accepting of this so I decided against it. Over time I have told my close friends and they have all accepted it without hesitation.

However, no matter how few people you tell, or how careful you are, word does tend to get out to more people than you had in mind. Just be aware of this and be prepared to answer a few questions. Also, you are not obligated to tell anyone anything. You don't have to listen to insults and bigotry if that will be an issue. Just walk away and don't turn back. My philosophy is if something like this completely discredits me for someone, then they ALMOST always aren't worth a second chance.

Currently, I don't really tell people about my sexuality. I'm willing to talk about it if it comes up and I never lie to people about it but I don't really encourage questions from people I'm not close to. It's what works for me.

Good luck. I hope whatever you decide works out.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.