Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Letter to the Editor...?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Letter to the Editor...?
Rio
Activist
Member # 2072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the last edition of the school news paper before school got out for the summer a boy wrote some really mean stuff. He was ranting and raving about how he should be able to call things gay if he wants to. Then tried to make it seem like all gay people were child molesters and murders and all manner of other nasty things. I was sooo mad!
If his meaning of the word gay (ie "thats so stupid how gay"), and my meaning of the word gay (ie homosexual nothing angry or mean intended) were the same ,I guess I would have no problem with that point.
But to go so far as to start making all sorts of nasty assumptions and generalizations about an entire group of people was just over-board. Granted there are bad apples in every group of people. But that in no way justifies what he said.
This boy really didn't do his research at all. Sexual assualt and molestation rarely have anything to do with sex at all. There are also plenty of heterosexual people who do bad thing too. He kinda made himself look stupid.
Well, the point of all my raving is this:
I live in Small Town America, I would like to reply to this letter and correct some misinformation. But living in Small Town America how safe is this for me? I'm really angry the the school printed such a bunch of bigotted crud. But, I'm also a bit concerned for myself and my safety. If anyone has any suggestions on how I could write back and assure my own well being. I'm angry enough to say "heck I'll write back who cares what they think, I'm gonna stand up for the truth, who I am , and what I believe is right." But I realized that could be against my better judgement in this situation. Too repeat my question I'd love it if anyone has suggestions on how I could write back and assure my own safety.

Thanks So Much,
Rio

------------------
"There are a lot of hidden nerds. I'm aware of the exciting man in Trent The Nine Inch, but I can see the nerd in him, too. People who become the front runners often used to be outcasts or loners." - Tori Amos

Posts: 60 | From: near Indianapolis | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the fact that it was printed in the last issue before summer vacation presents both a problem and an oppurtunity. The problem is when every body gets back to school and they see your reply, they will not remember the origional letter. the oppurtunity is that you have lots of time to write the letter so that is comes off, not as a defense of gays per se, but as a plea against bigotry. It gives you lots of time to document your case. You will look much smarter than this guy. You have the time to tear his arguement apart line by line. For example, you could point out how bigoted his letter would have looked if he substituted the word black for gay.

------------------
"and these three, faith hope and love abide, and the greatest of these is love"

Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WonderGirl16
Neophyte
Member # 4331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonderGirl16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel for you, Rio. I too live in Small Town USA. I, personally dont feel safe enough to announce to my school that i'm bi. i mean, they burned down the house of the last black family that lived here, i dont think theyd be too accepting of me.

Its tough not having any organizations for GLBT anywhere near.

Anyway, to answer your question, only do it if you feel safe... wow, what a crappy answer, huh? :P sorry about that

.*.Nicki.*.

Posts: 19 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rio does not have to announce to the world anything about his sexuality. One does not have to be black to be against racisim, one does not have to be jewish to dislike anti-semitism, and one does not have to be homosexual to dislike gay bashing. the best way to go about it is to write a letter appealing to the better angels of our nature. Couch it in terms of civil liberties, equal protection under the law, freedom of association and the rest of the principals of the founding fathers. Point to the thousands of soldiers who died in WWII and point out that there were people in the concentration camps with pink triangles as well as those with yellow stars. If you do that you will make the bigot look downright un-american (my appologies to those people here who are from overseas).

PS, perhaps this issue would be better suited to the sexual politics forum, it would get much more response there and I think it addresses a broader area than the orientation and identity usually addresses.

------------------
"and these three, faith hope and love abide, and the greatest of these is love"

[This message has been edited by John Doe (edited 06-29-2001).]

Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.