Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Harassment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Harassment
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just wondering what have your experiences with harassment been? Has anyone been lucky enough to escape it all together? Has anyone been unfortunate enough to end up in the hospital because of it? How has being queer affected how people treat you?

This comes up, because today, for the first time I got harassed - and I think it's because I'm queer. And it's through my phone, which means that I gave them my number or someone I know did, because I'm unlisted. Basically the (male) caller is claiming to be a friend's exboyfriend (which I know isn't true), and are basically sexually harassing me and being homophobic, to an extent. It's not really appropriate to say what they were saying to me here.

And I don't even kno what to do abotu it. I don't know if there is anything I can do abot it, I have Caller ID and caller ID block, and their name still isn't showing up, and it pisses me off that they've gone through all the trouble just to target me. I don't really have enemies, I'm sickeningly nice to everyone, so the only reason I can think of it is because I'm queer. And their comments help that theory I don't get it...

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

real poetry is all based on this old myth about this beautiful, scary, trippy goddess who the poet wants to possess but he always loses her to this shadowy other guy - Girl Goddess #9

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pixie69, I don't know about Nevada but in Ontario, Bell Canada takes harrassing 'phone calls very seriously. They can put "traps" on the your phone that will isolate the caller. If it is a residential or business number, telephone service can be denied. I'm sure your hassaaser's parents would love that. Have you contacted your telephone company?

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

Not pleased to hear you've had harrasing calls. Our house gets anonymous hang up ones, but nothing homophobic. Hope you catch whoever is doing it.

Never have been harrased directly, at least not when whoever was saying it knew about my sexuality. (My siblings sometimes call me a lesbian as an insult.)

Going to bed,
Winnie :0)

------------------
Keeper of:
Scully's bra (EA)
Mulders Wheelchair (SE)
Scene where S tells Sk she's pregnant. (Req)
Scully's green suede jacket (Unn)

Member of GAWS

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pixie honey,

Do call the police, or have your parents call. There is a lot they can do about harrassing calls, and it's good for them to know that this is happening.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
golden101
Activist
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for golden101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, i agree w/ Erin. you should call the police. You didn't do anything to be harrassed like that. I'm sorry to hear that people are doing that to you, but you should call the police. Harrassment is something that should be taken seriously. Good luck to you and i hope you catch the people that are doing this to you.

[This message has been edited by golden101 (edited 07-03-2001).]

Posts: 227 | From: U.S.A | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.