Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Identity and Assumptions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Identity and Assumptions
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the experience of coming out to someone as queer and then getting the following barrage of questions:
"Have you ever had sex with a girl?"
"Have you ever had a threesome?"
"What's it like to have sex with a girl?"
This has happened to me with people that I hardly know. It seems pretty intrusive. Does anyone else have problems with people making the assumption that it's okay to ask about your sex life just because you're queer? How about the assumption that you are even sexually active at all? Ever get this from family? Parents? Other queer people?

Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It irks me as much as it irks you, but I avoid the problem entirely by not coming out. Ta da! Well, if you wanted constructive input you should have said something earlier, silly.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find this happens in many different areas, especially in the body modification one. For example, there is a guy named Jason Sands who is heavily tatooed (facial and body) and pierced, and he mentioned that people will ask about his genital modifications, when, if he didn't look that way, they'd never think to ask...

I'm lucky enough to be blessed with great friends (the ones who know I'm bi) where nothing is seen abnormal or intrusive. I mean, my celibate guy friend was running arond in my plaid bondage skirt, and no one blinked an eye. Any questions they've asked me, they would have asked me had I said I was straight.

Other people, however, are not so kind. People think that you have to have sex with both sexes to call yourself bi. Why is it that you can not have sex with the opposite sex, and still call yourself straight? The worst thing is when stupid guys ask if I'll have a three-some. They all assume that you're sexually obsessed (not to say I'm not) and that you've had adn will have and do anything sexual, just because you're bi. Most of these people are just as close-minded about everything in general, so I try not to take it personally.

but you're right, it gets annoying

Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost every guy I've told has asked me questions about what I do with other girls. They don't hesitate to ask, either! I simply tell them that I've never done anything sexual with a female yet. "Yea, but what WOULD you do? Do you ever dream about girls?" They would never ask me if I dreamed about guys and how we'd have sex if I were straight. It can really get on my nerves.

Just like Pixie said, people can tend to think that just because we're queer- we're totally sex crazed. Where in the definition of "homosexual" does it say that we're sex crazed? I mean, sure, some homosexuals are, but some heterosexuals are too!

I'm very thankful to have some friends who respect and understand who I am (and who DON'T think I'm sex-crazed just because I'm a lesbian).

I try to educate people about "us queer folk" when I have the chance, but some people just can't get it through their head that the only difference between us and "the straight folk" is that we are sexually attracted to people of the same sex. Coming out as a lesbian doesn't automatically mean that I'm going to spend my life with a woman, shave my head, and have anonymous sex.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

"Well, I use fertilizer and a new product I got at The Home Depot."

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.