Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Age Matters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Age Matters
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started questioning my sexual orientation when I was 9. I stopped for a few years, and then realized that I was definitely queer when I was 12. I came out pretty immediately. First I went online and talked to people about it anonymously for a few weeks, and then I told my best friend. A few weeks later I told the rest of my circle of friends. And then about two months after that I told my family. By the end of 7th grade, I was out to the world.

Okay, okay, I know I was soooooooo young. Like extremely freakishly young although it didn't seem that odd at the time. I came out to others really soon after I came out to myself. I often wonder if I could have gained something from staying in the closet for another year or so like everyone else I know did. For a long time after I came out, everyone told me it was just a phase. I still get strange looks from people when I tell them that I came out at twelve.

I also know people who didn't come out until they were in their twenties, and their experiences are obviously very different from mine. It would also vary by whether they knew when they were young and just kept it a secret, or whether they honestly had no idea.

What are your experiences with coming out at various ages? Do you think it makes a difference how old you are? Or how long you wait after you figure it out for yourself?

Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was 12 I came out to a girl online. From then on, I hinted to the real world of my queerness, and came out to some.

In a way, I think it was too early, because I'm now in a straight relationship. I feel like people may think I was lying before. Shrug. On the other hand, that is how I felt at the time, and I still wouldn't call myself straight. So what do I care?

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 3404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for **hippi_chik**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive been suspecting i was bi for a year or two and im 13 now i just recently decideed that i definatly was though now that i think about i had actually known as long as i suspected it but didnt want to lable myself... i still havent "come out" i really dont think anyone would believe me. at least not for a couple of years they all think im too young to know. i have been thinking of telling my best friend who is very open minded and suspects herself to be bi so ill tell you how it goes

Words of wisdom from our all-knowing, all-seeing, wonderful,(coff coff) parents:
"If you dont stop making faces you'll get stuck that way...and even if you don't you'll have permanent worry lines by the time your'e thirty!"

Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I always knew deep down, but it was 13 when I consciously realised.

Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.