Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » It's a sign!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's a sign!
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rainbows, rainbows everywhere. Do any of you have a secret sign that expresses your sexuality? I know I have a keychain with a rainbow on it that I keep on my backpack to remind me of who I am an encourage me to be strong when someone tries to trample on how I identify myself sexually. I used to have a group of lesbian friends on the internet, and we wore silver rings on our right ring finger to symbolize our sexuality.

Do any of you have something like this? Do you wear or keep anything to symbolize your sexuality whether gay, straight, bisexual, or other? If so, what is it?

------------------
"Straight it boring," ~Loreal Le Grande Curl commercial

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadowhawk
Activist
Member # 3425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowhawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main thing I can think of that has anything to do with my sexuality is my journal, with its myriad triangles and whatnot (well, not to mention the exposing entries in the journal). But nobody ever really sees that other than me...

However, my journal has quotes I've made up scrawled all over it (which 99% of the time are related to my sexuality), and they tend to show up elsewhere. Nobody else has any clue they have that sort of meaning, but that's fine by me. It's me knowing what it means that counts.

[This message has been edited by Shadowhawk (edited 04-18-2001).]

Posts: 80 | From: Phoenix, AZ, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, this may seem off point but it will get there soon. There is this big Martin Luther King Jr. parade in Phoenix and my school's diversity group went, and when the Baha people (can't even remember their names, sorry) started singing I was driven to get on a bus to go, with a new friend, to this cool little store called Unique on Central. This was fascinating place where I could actually be open about my sexuality (even though the stupid cashier thought I was a girl) and I decided to get this little pin that says "Who are you to judge?" and a little rainbow triangle patch. I have the pin on my backpack, but am not gutsy enough at my severely conservative school to put the patch on--so it's sitting on top of my bookshelf. But the point, yes the pin is a little reminder to me that I am gay (oddly enough it is such a minor issue sometimes I forget) and that I shouldn't judge, 'cause I do way too often.

That was rather long, oh well.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

I wouldn't say I have a secret sign, but thats only because I never shut up about how much I love Gillian Anderson.

Or my nickname "gillians_gal" gives it away too.

Nothing really secert tho. Guess I must be a loudmouth

Winnie :P

------------------
Keeper of:
Scully's bra (EA)
Mulders Wheelchair (SE)
Scene where S tells Sk she's pregnant. (Req)
Scully's green suede jacket (Unn)

Member of GAWS

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juice
Activist
Member # 3325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hace a mini bicycle that's purple w/ rainbow streamer thingies on the handle bars (you know, like on little kid's bikes?) that i keep on my knapsac. i like it b/c it's purple, rainbow, and BIcycle (get it? aaahhhh, i'm so funny...)
Posts: 45 | From: Toronto, Ontatio, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rdavid
Activist
Member # 3041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdavid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Occasionally I'll wear my leather pride rings... when I feel like being an out and proud tranny I'll wear my necklace that says "BOY!" or my Transsexual Menace t-shirt. But when I'm going for subtlety, I'll wear a little button I have that says "GOOD BOY" (and when you turn it upside-down it says "BAD BOY")

------------------
r.d.m. * riotboy * http://f0o.org
"and you say i'm just a kitty cat in disguise" -- estrojet

Posts: 47 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boringandshy
Neophyte
Member # 3230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boringandshy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there! Chandra* here... and yeah, I do, but I've made it quite public, even though few people know it. I've just recently admitted to a few of my most trusted friends that I'm bisexual, and there are a few others I'm planning to tell, if they ask. I struggle with anorexia, and my school counselor asked me to make two things that represented how I felt when I was feeling good... So I drew a huge picture... and it was of a girl that looked like me, with pink hair, and blue skin, and a huge swirly rainbow in teh back. It's on display in the school conference area for all to see... but htey have no idea what it means yet...
Posts: 2 | From: Bedford, IA, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gillian's, it didn't immediately jump out to me that your name here was a sign of orientation; I think I've been around too many gay/bi/whatever people too long to even notice anymore.

Rainbows, to me, are a major sign of gay etc. friendliness, and I even refer to a large multi-coloured throw I have as 'the gay blanket,' which somehow makes it seem cooler than it already is. I also have a little rainbow triangle on my page, just because it seemed like a good idea. I've seen friends and others with rainbow jewelry, and once, a woman with a black triangle earring (apparently, the female equivalent to pink triangles on men in concentration camps; a sign of homosexuality or infertility), and known what it meant. A friend of mine made up a name necklace that said 'QUEER' and wore it until she gave it to another sweet gay woman she liked.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... I have an "I like women" button, but I've never worn it. The girl who gave it to me was cute, though!

I'd like to wear something that would show my support for queer folk but generally I'm too shy. I'd rather choose who to tell and who not to.

Also, I know this sounds bad, but I think it would make it look like I'm trying to pick up. Then again, it would be nice to have girls hitting on me as often as guys. Not that either happens too frequently, but some balance would be nice.

Does anyone else get the idea that wearing signs of gayness is sort of like wearing an "I'm single" t-shirt?

Nah, probably just me and my twisted social perceptions

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rizzo, maybe it's just me, but little rainbow pins, and stuff like that always seemed sort of sweet to me, not at all like those 'Kiss Me I'm Irish Shirts'. I'm primarily straight, but I do tend to feel most comfortable around gay/bi people, and maybe that's why. I saw a woman on the bus a few weeks ago who had a button that said 'I used to be a tomboy but now I'm a full-grown lesbian' and it seemed cute. I never once considered that it might be a tool to try to attract women. I think that idea comes from living in a culture where it's treated like all gay people really want is perverted sex. I mean, you've got to remember all the guys who were afraid that gay men would randomly walk up and start hitting on them, and I guess fear of looking like that's going to be a hindrance to even letting your identity show.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milke: When I see people wearing pins/rainbows, whatever, I don't really think they're trying to pick up either, that's just what I'm afraid others would think of me, if I wore those things. I'm always afraid that other people will look down on me, even if I don't know a good reason why. Told you my social perceptions were twisted

I don't think for me it comes from the cultural misconception that gays only want kinky sex. I've long known gay people who don't fit that mold.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Rizzo, I didn't mean that you'd connect being gay with kinky sex, just that you'd be afraid others might. Someday, maybe, we'll be free of that sort of thing . . .
fizz
Neophyte
Member # 6659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fizz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my rainbow candy bracelets and my shirt that says "I LIKE GIRLS" gives it all away to people who don't know me, but all my friends and practically my whole school knows.

------------------
I'm a chick who likes chicks.

Posts: 9 | From: middle of the desert, california | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldengreeny Queeny
Neophyte
Member # 4807

Icon 10 posted      Profile for goldengreeny Queeny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this binder, which I've been using for my Japanese language classes for almost two years now. It's very purple. And stuck across it, diagonally, is a big, black and white bumper sticker that says:
"You, Me, Whipped Cream,
Handcuffs, Any Questions?"

I think it says a lot about me, or at least my sense of humour. *g*
Recently, one of the girls in my class noticed it and said it was cool, and then another girl put cute little stickers in the empty spaces of the binder. I was very happy, because they're both really pretty (long hair.. *drool*).

Queeny

"East Temple Garden Pod One FOREVER!!!"

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shh
Activist
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a rainbow belt.
I wear it almost everyday, but not because of excessive pride or anything.
My pants fall down and it's the only belt I have :-)

------------------

Posts: 40 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilredstrawberry
Neophyte
Member # 7487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilredstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a tie that I wear a lot and it has a button on it that says "a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle." It's funny though b/c even though i have that and I wear guys clothes a lot, no one ever thinks that there's a possibility that I'm not straight. Lot's of girls just think it's cute or funny.
Posts: 6 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've discovered that a dress I bought has a rainbow trim. An unintentioanl but very cool sign.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sangre_red
Neophyte
Member # 7535

Icon 7 posted      Profile for sangre_red     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a rainbow ribbon of my backpack @ all times, im not sure if anyone even notices. i know heterosexuals who wear them too, to show support for lgbt.

my dorm room is coverd with pics of various sexxxy grrls. i also have a 'whatever' poster outside my door with a pic each of 2guys, 2girls, & a boy and a girl plus i used to have a sign on my door that said i love (pic of a cat) lol & the slow ones thought it meant i love cats.

can u believe im not fully out yet either?!?

------------------
masturbation: (n.) sex with someone i love.

Posts: 18 | From: canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.