Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Biphobia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Biphobia
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever feel stuck between two groups? It can be hard to assert yourself as neither straight nor gay. How do you embrace your sexual orientation when it is often not validated by mainstream society and it is sometimes rejected by the gay community too?

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, since getting into a relationship with a boy, I must say I feel pretty isolated from the lesbian community. I never really felt like I was a part of it (because I'm shy), but I used to think I had the potential to be accepted by them. Now I feel like my chances are blown. I'm actually a little bitter about it, but I know that infighting isn't going to help anything...

You're right. It's hard to assert yourself as bi. Often you're seen as wishy washy, so it's hard to make a clear statement. If you're in a relationship, people will assume that you are what you appear to be at that moment. It's pretty annoying.

But I think the best way to assert yourself is to TELL people. If you want someone to know you're bi, tell them.

As for validation, well, if mainstream society/the gay commmunity doesn't like it, screw them! (Ahahaha, yes I suppose I lead a lonely life ) But seriously, even within "intolerant" communtities, there are always gonna be a few individuals who are tolerant. So life doesn't have to be miserable. They're the ones you have to team up with if you want to make a change.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just recently admitted to myself that i am bisexual. but what can i do im married. oh well.

------------------
frozendream1026@aol.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, congrats Koger!

Do recognize that many of us who are bisexual aare in monogamous realtionships or marriages. I've been bisexual for as long as I've been sexual, and I've found that whether or not I'm happy or satisfied has but squat to do with "getting a little of everything."

Some folks are happier with multiple partners, others aren't and that usually has more to do with your relationship style, your personality and your lifestyle than with your orientation.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I feel your pain. It's funny, some non-hetero's are talking about accetance and discrimination, but then they are prejudice against bisexuals. A few lesbians have been bitter about bi's because they felt that we were "accepted" more by the straight society, because we could always go find a partner of the opposite sex. Some guys I know won't date bi's because they say "it's worse for your girlfriend to leave you for a girl than for a guy" (I really wish I was kidding, I'm not!) Other people think that you're just "confused" (especially if you're a teenager!)

Now I just ignore it. If they're not going to accept me fine, if they are then wonderful but why should I care what they think? It still bothers me that people are so judging of other people. Such silliness, what was ever accomplished from judging people unfairly? NOTHING!

Edited because: apparently I can't type
------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

[This message has been edited by Pixie69 (edited 03-03-2001).]

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I can relate to that! although my media and english teachers both know about my sexuality, and my media teacher is very supportive and a regular at mardi gras (he's straight) some kids in my school are homophobic.
I tend to tell almost everyone I meet I am bi, not right away but if they prove themselves. One knew girl found out and she is homophobic - I don't especially like her but I would prefer she knew.
We are doing documentarys in media and my freind annan and I (he's gay), Lisa (the homophobe), and micheal are making one on how homosexuality i percieved in schools. It is going to be a bunch of interveiws and we are tight for time. We only have 4 mins but 10 mins would be ideal. we got a nem digital video editor too so it should be in the bag.
Talk about getting sidetracked :P

Winnie :0)

------------------
..because being evil is soo much more fun..
~dark queen of scully's non-existant social life~

Member of OBSSE & GAWS

"True friends are like diamonds, precious and rare, false friends are like autumn leaves, blowing everywhere"

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool idea for a project. I was going to write my final civ paper on gay rights through history but then I realize that such a topic might not go over well at my school. I am gonna write it about Arthurian legends, but there was a topic here wasn't there?
Oh yes, biphobia, I can't exactly sympathize but I agree that many people don't truly understand what bisexuality is. So many misconceptions, so little time to correct them in.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend is bisexual, as is one of my best male friends...I'm starting to wonder if my group of friends is odd, because if they have a problem with anyone, it's me. Not the overly flamboyant gay man who is a good friend, not the bisexual woman and man who are central figures in our "friend-web", but me, the little lesbian in the corner. As such, I've encountered plenty of lesbophobia (did I just create a word?), but NO gayguyphobia or biphobia. Odd...but in a good way (I can handle fighting my own battles...)
Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mia
Neophyte
Member # 2403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do find that it's hard to find a place to fit when you're bi... most everything seems to be geared for the two extremes.

Oh well. I'm a happy medium.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's unfortunately true all too often, Mia. I actually find that over time, that gets a bit better, from people around you seeing what it measn to be bisexual (read: not a non-stop sex-party), and understanding that it's an orientation like any other.

And Laughs, have you visited http://www.technodyke.com? It's a wonderful site, run by a wonderful friend, and I write there foten. Really neat and ingenious place for lesbian or bisexual women.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 03-17-2001).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Mz S's link. And her bi column too It's a great place.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoyPoetNU
Neophyte
Member # 3094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoyPoetNU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think that it is important to remember there is a relatively large bi community out there. We are not always isolated from the gay community, nor rejected form the mainstream. We have the capability to I guess blend in where we choose, so if we need to be accepted, we can. I personally would not choose to do that because it is not being honest with who I am, but it is a possibility for someone who needs to be a part of the community.

I find that when you are in a relationship, you generally face acceptance by the group appropriate for that relationship (i.e. If I were with a girl, the straight community would accept me) whereas you face the possibility of rejection by the "other side." I don't like to steroetype like that, and I try not to do it, because I know it is not true of all the members of those groups, but I think that is the best I can explain it for this situation.

Posts: 9 | From: Niagara University, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.