Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Finding Community

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finding Community
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you find community? Ever feel like you're the only person you know who isn't straight? How do you deal with it? How do you meet other queer teens, whether you live in a large city with a gay/lesbian community center or a rural area with no visible presence? Do you feel isolated by your sexual orientation? How do you combat that?

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda did. But then I was talking with a friend (now my g/f) who kinda forced me to come out (that sounds harsh, but there's no other way to put it). So then I didn't feel so left out cuz I knew about her (before we started going out) and she told me about some other people. But I don't go to clubs or anything, to answer your question.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to but then a girl at my school came out. It was such an incredible relief, the feeling that you aren't alone is the best in the world. I would be willing to do anything to help someone else the way she helped me. Profound, isn't it?

Love--good schtuff!

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it gets easier to find "community" (I won't rant about this term right now...) as you get older. I used to feel entirely alone, but now it's not even an issue. I don't feel that I need to seek out gay spaces, because so many of my friends happen to be gay/bi. It used to be miraculous to find out someone, anyone, even Smithers on the Simpsons, was gay. Now I don't bat an eyelash.

Of course, I am lucky enough to live in a big city, so I've never faced really intense stigma... but I'd say, even in more rural areas, I'm sure there are some open minded folks. They can't plead ignorance anymore, with the wide availablity of media...electronic revolution or whatever.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I guess I'm saying that in the future, I don't think this whole "community" idea will be so important. That's my hope anyway.

[This message has been edited by Rizzo (edited 02-24-2001).]

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.