Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » A Few Interesting Issues (prejudice/coming out)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Few Interesting Issues (prejudice/coming out)
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well today's a beuatiful day so I spent a lot of time outside smelling the fresh air and thinking and such and I came up with one little comment and one little question.

Comment: Okay, I was having a discussion in PE about how our school is considered 'the dyke school' and since then these two gurlies that I'm pretty sure are going out have been giving me attitude. I'm trying to figure out what their problem is since I haven't been happy lately (they make fun of me for being happy!!) and I realized it. Uh-oh. They probably think I mean dyke in a derogatory way, since basically no one realizes who I am and what I am.

Do you think it's derogatory when people say dyke? Any experiences about prejudice would be interesting to hear...

Second thing is thanks to www.planetout.com I met a chica who lives in my area and we've been talking online and she asked if I was going to 'the center' So now I have directions and stuff to the gay and lesbian community center and I know that every Thurs they have a youth group for GBLTQ teens. Then I realized another thing...my parents don't know about me and how am I going to explain why they're taking me to a GBLTQ youth group? (A while ago we were talking about a bi guy at my school and basically my parents say you're too young to decide what you are and I say that why is it you are never too young to be hetero?) and I'm not in the mood to have that conversation again.

So are you out? To who? How'd you do it and how did they react?

Let's see if we get anything interesting

Brittany

------------------
I'm the good girl that everyone thinks is a bad girl pretending to be a good girl :D

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, I'm more than out. I write about sexuality and my own sexuality to thousands of readers a day.

My first consensual sexual experience was with a girl, followed very shortly by a boy, and I liked them both, and I was very young. So, not having been raised with any real strong gender roles in my family, nor any biases aginst bisexuality, it was simply the way I developed. I didn't even know there was a term for it until I got to high school, at which point iwas just sort of a no-brainer.

This sort of thing just never really came up with my mother. She was comfortable talking about sexuality with me, but not on a personal level, and it still doesn't get discussed a lot (and she has been living with a female partner for years). It's just very private with her.

With my father, it was a bit funny, really. In high school, I brought a platonic girlfriend of mine home once, and after she left, my father just bluntly said (you see where I get this from), "So, you guys are an intem, eh?" To which my response was, "NO, but the girl I brought home last night and I am." Dad says, "Oh, I guessed wrong. Huh." End coming out. Needless to say, it's wasn't the stuff of high drama. Really, in my family, it's just a non-issue.

Glad to hear you found yourself a community group, Brittany. It's great to find social situations that double as community activism, in my experience.
As for your parental units, do what feels best.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swirlgirl
Neophyte
Member # 1117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swirlgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I use "dyke" all the time, and it's one of the few terms I will use to label myself. In fact, I went to a frat party last Saturday with "Dyke" on the front of my shirt. I like it so much because it's more open than "lesbian" (I am not strictly homosexual), but more convenient than "bisexual". However, it is often used in a derogatory way (like... homophobes yelling "dyke!" at a girl, or just as an insult). I think us queers (another word I like) can reclaim "dyke".
Posts: 11 | From: Chicago, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.