Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » If Everyone Thinks.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If Everyone Thinks.....
Nikita
Neophyte
Member # 1423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that most people I know believe that I am Lesbian. And no one is afraid to tell me that they think I am. This includes my mother and her friends. Some of whom identify themselves as Lesbian and claim to have found me the perfect woman.
I have no idea what to tell them as I am still trying to sort out just who I am.
I grew up in an environment where sexuality and nudity were never taboo subjects, and because of this I have never felt a need to engage in homophobia joking or teasing etc... This could possibly be why some people suspect (isn't that a nasty word) that I am Lesbian.
I know I have been attracted to males and females but it really confuses me when I have so many people either assuming/asking/telling me that I am Lesbian.
I guess what I would like people to comment on is whether they think I should take this large group of peoples observations into consideration.

Posts: 2 | From: Geneva, Switzerland | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Would you take it into consideration if people around you told you that they knew for certain what your favorite food was, and they said it was something that actually *wasn't* your favorite food? Would you feel like you had to take other people's word for it if they told you that your favorite kind of music was something other than what it really is? Probably not, right?

Just because other people think you are a lesbian doesn't make you so. Other people don't get to choose these things for us. Only YOU can possibly know to whom you are attracted -- whether it is women primarily, men and women both, men primarily, or whether it changes over time. It's not a democratic process. Other people don't get to vote on what turns you on or what you find attractive.

While it's great that you have such a non-homophobic and accepting community around you, insisting that a person is a lesbian when they aren't necessarily a lesbian is really just as silly and just as offensive as insisting that someone is heterosexual when they aren't. You are what you are. No one else gets to decide what label fits you best -- and you may even decide that there is NO label that fits you best, and that's fine, too.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll offer up a little anecdotal evidence as to why you shouldn't base your sexual identity on what other people say.

In high school, some of my classmates were under the impression that I was a lesbian. Only one of them went out and said this to my face, but still, the rumors circulated. My own family seems to be entertaining the idea -- the question they occasionally pose of whether or not I have a boyfriend yet is followed by them wondering (only half seriously, admittedly) if I have a girlfriend. Why all this? Because I've shown no interest whatsoever in guys. I've shown no interest in girls either, but some people assume that I must be a closeted lesbian. The reality of the situation, though, is that I'm exactly as I appear: I'm not attracted (thus far) to either men or women. I tentatively identify as asexual (for lack of a better term).

Now, my situation is different than yours, but it goes to show that people can be incorrect. My sexual orientation is what it is and what I decide to label it, and no amount of people saying that I'm a lesbian can change that.

[This message has been edited by Lynne (edited 02 October 2000).]

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikita
Neophyte
Member # 1423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both for your imput. You are right about the fact that I shouldn't seriously consider other peoples ideas about who I am. But having such a large group of people believe that I am Lesbian just made me wonder if they were seeing something that I wasn't. And to be perfectly honnest even after your responses I am still wondering.
Posts: 2 | From: Geneva, Switzerland | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a funny aside, in my mothers family, I was targeted as the "lesbian" (apparently each family can only have one) from day one.

Now, I knew I was bisexual from the get-go, but I also knew that my main attraction in long-term partners tended to be men.

Now, as I'm 30 and married to a man, I'm still the one considered the family "lesbian" even though it is in fact my mother who has been living with her girlfriend for years at this point. Go figure!

I figure I do the whole family a favor by allowing them to label me, thus sparing everyone else.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.