Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » What's it like to have a girlfriend?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's it like to have a girlfriend?
Calamity Jane
Neophyte
Member # 70370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calamity Jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm bisexual, but I haven't ever had a girlfriend before, the only time I asked a girl out she rejected me strongly and said that she didn't think Jesus would like that, so I was just wondering if any other bisexuals could tell me if there are any better/worse things about having a girlfriend? (Not including sex because I masturbate frequently and don't feel the need to have genital/manual/oral sex yet)

--------------------
Love.
What a curious thing.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really not possible to answer that, because every individual and every relationship is different. To boot, those differences don't really have much to do with gender, but with the unique people involved in the relationship, whether they identify as male, female, genderqueer, agender, or something else entirely.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calamity Jane
Neophyte
Member # 70370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calamity Jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, sorry, I kinda realized I was being a bit insensitive after I posted but I didn't know how to get rid of it. I was just craving love and wondering what it was like, which led me to ask this :-\

--------------------
Love.
What a curious thing.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can still talk about this if you want to, Calamity Jane. It's okay to have posted this, it's just a bit tough to answer in the way you worded the question.

If you do want to talk about it, have you had any kind of romantic or sexual partner before, of any gender?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calamity Jane
Neophyte
Member # 70370

Yes, I have, I've had one serious boyfriend before, but we never engaged in any kind of sex.

--------------------
Love.
What a curious thing.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so then you have some sense already of what it's like to have a girlfriend, too.

In other words, having a partner is...well, like having a partner. And the ways in which partnerships differ are usually much more about individual people and partnerships as a big picture than about one factor of them, like what gender we and our partners are.

When gender makes a difference, the place it tends to can be things like:
• How our relationships are treated by the people around us based on their ideas about our gender, that of our partner, and the gender-mix of our partnership. For instance, in relationships between two women, you may have to deal with some biphobia or homophobia you don't in relationships with a guy (like what that friend said to you), or with sexism applied to you and your partner you might not otherwise.

• How you, yourself, interact differently, if you do, with a partner based on your partner's gender. Some people find that a difference in gender changes their experience of a person or a relationship, and/or that they behave differently with people of different genders.

• Same goes with your own feelings about being in a relationship with another woman. For some people, they'll feel just right and not be any more challenged than with a partner of a different gender/sex than they are, while other people will feel even more at home, and others will feel very challenged.

Are those the kinds of things you were asking about?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calamity Jane
Neophyte
Member # 70370

Yes, that's really it. I understand now, thank you. You rock for making scarleteen, by the way.

--------------------
Love.
What a curious thing.

Heather
Member # 3

No trouble!

Thanks! And you rock for being part of the awesome community that makes it so great! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.