Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » What do you think of Drag?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you think of Drag?
SouwaLyn
Neophyte
Member # 61037

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SouwaLyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently my gay friend decided he wanted to explore the world of drag. I think it's an awesome idea. I believe that being a Drag queen can be a beautiful art form. So that led me to the question what do other people think of Drag queens? I don't mind if you say you don't like it. I want to hear all opinions. [Smile] [Wink]
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love any kind of gender transgression, and as gender is a spectrum, it looks really natural and freeing. Are there Drag Kings? There must be...

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RaeRay2112:
Are there Drag Kings? There must be...

I find Drag Kings incredibly hot [Smile] .

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RaeRay2112:
I love any kind of gender transgression

Me too. Drag queens and kings are great.
Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ste-Funnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding? I watch RuPaul's Drag Race! When I'm older, I want to have my own show of reverse drag, where women look like men. I always wanted to see a drag show! If i were a boy, I'd be a drag queen!

--------------------
~Stephanie Gabriella Murray
I'm very gay for being a lesbian, and not gay to be what I'm not

Posts: 251 | From: Long Island | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drag Kings are a very real and vibrant part of the community. Check out Kings of the Hill and All The Kings Men for two well known groups!

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kings of the Hill! Love that!

[ 04-19-2011, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several times I've been around good-looking female acquaintances without appreciating their looks on anything but an aesthetic level, and then found that when they put on a boy's shirt, for example, they are suddenly really hot to me. So yeah, drag kings are hot. Probably plenty of people have the same reaction to drag queens.
Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, the older I get the more I realize that despite identifying as a woman and (probably, never had a test done, but it's pretty safe to assume), being XX, that doing things like wearing makeup and dresses and such feels like drag for me.

Now, I like drag-as-performance. I do find it transgressive as well as a whole lot of fun, so there's that. I've done a lot of photography of drag kings and queens, and it's always been a hoot.

But coming to that awareness was something I wish I'd come to a lot earlier because times I was pushed to be high-femme -- by family, by culture -- always really bothered me and felt very suffocating, and if I'd gotten the message that it could simply BE drag, be a costume, be like performance and having fun, rather than having to be something that felt or was presumed to be authentic, I would have felt a lot more positive about it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
... doing things like wearing makeup and dresses and such feels like drag for me... times I was pushed to be high-femme -- by family, by culture -- always really bothered me and felt very suffocating, and if I'd gotten the message that it could simply BE drag, be a costume, be like performance and having fun, rather than having to be something that felt or was presumed to be authentic, I would have felt a lot more positive about it.

My sentiments exactly.
Coffee_and_Chocolate
Activist
Member # 56874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coffee_and_Chocolate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally, like exploring the world of drag kinging...I don't know what my friends think of it though. Most of them would freak out about it most likely...

--------------------
eh.

Posts: 44 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little uncomfortable around drag, and I've been trying to figure out why. I feel like there's a difference between drag and cross-dressing. I cross-dress quite often, and I don't like it when people describe it as a drag (or worse, assume I'm doing a Rocky Horror reference. I never got that).

I think drag/cross-dressing are awesome and hot and so on, but a few times I've been invited to things described as "drag shows", and I haven't gone - I really don't want to. I feel like seeing something I do IRL put up on stage, as constituting entertainment, is very othering, and I don't know if it's my own internal issue, but I feel like the word "drag" (and, for that matter, the word "cross-dressing") reinforces traditional gender expectations.

I don't know, am I crazy? The Rocky Horror thing is a good example - it really annoys me if someone brings it up (I try not to vent that at people, but still). No, I'm not doing Rocky Horror - for that matter, I'm not doing drag, or cross-dressing. It's not about dressing in opposition to something more normal, it's about wearing what I want to for a night.

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigerlily18
Neophyte
Member # 42252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tigerlily18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love drag, but some of my friends have a problem with is because it seems in reinforce gender binaries (which is following what some have posted here, as well). The way that I see drag, more so with Drag Queens, is that it's solely for entertainment. Some Queens dress so extravagantly (big feather boas, 6-inch platform shoes), that many people understand that it is solely for entertainment. With Kings (and I absolutely love Drag Kings), I think it can be a way for people to express an idea of masculinity that they may not feel comfortable showing in "real" life.

The biggest thing about Drag that I love is the confidence that the Queens and Kings have. I'm dating a girl that's performed as a King, and there's such a huge difference with how comfortable she is up on a stage in front of a ton of people in Drag, or dressed in her everyday clothes. I know some people that can spend hours in Drag and seem like the most confident people I've ever met, but once they get out of costume they're very shy.

I do wish that people wouldn't mistake crossdressing for Drag. They are different things.

--------------------
"Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"

Posts: 6 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.