Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » True meaning of Bisexuality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: True meaning of Bisexuality
Member # 50934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ste-Funnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. Some of you people out there who are bisexual, some people think it means to have an open relationship where you date a girl and a guy at the same time. Well, to tell you the truth, it doesn't work that way. First of all, the definition of "bisexual" means you're ATTRACTED TO BOTH GENDERS. If it has the word "sexual" in it, it means, (SEXUAL) ATTRACTION. Second of all, honestly, a lot of open relationships tend to be very unhealthy relationships. Most people who have them, turn out to be miserable. In other words, if you're bisexual, how it really works is that you date one at a time. For instance, you would date a girl, break up w/ her, then you date a guy, break up with him, then date a girl again, and it keeps going. So just because you're bi, it doesn't mean date two people. I'm not saying dont, in case you already knew this. If you want to have an open relationship thats your choice. but i wouldn't do it no matter what my sexuality is. Like I do know that lesbian doesn't mean your dating a girl. It means youre attracted to them. which is exactly how I am. I date one at a time.

~Stephanie Gabriella Murray
I'm very gay for being a lesbian, and not gay to be what I'm not

Posts: 251 | From: Long Island | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ste-funnie: this kind of post really isn't okay here, in a space that's about everyone seeking support for all kinds of relationship models and all kinds of identities.

Unhealthy relationships come in ALL kinds of models, be they monogamous or not so (and statistically speaking, more abuse is tracked to monogamous agreements and marriages).

As well, no one here should be appointing themselves as the person to define an identity for all people: that's not okay. Some people who are bisexual (or straight or gay) date one person at a time. Others so not.

Lastly, in the broadest way, per the study of sexuality, what bisexuality means is that a person experiences emotional and/or sexual attraction to people of both sexes and/or all genders. I don't know of any definition in the study of sexuality which classifies sexual orientations within relationship models. That said, you clearly have your own definition, which is fine, but that also means everyone else gets their, too, so telling folks :how it is"like this not only isn't okay in this kind of safe space, it's not fair or sensible since you, yourself, have your own definition that would be in conflict with others.

I'm going to close this post, and ask that you please review the user agreement you clicked that you agreed to when you registered, and moving forward, please post within our guidelines and with a community that's widely accepting of a diversity of people in mind.

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.