Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Okay, Bad Problems.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Okay, Bad Problems.
ShanShan
Neophyte
Member # 49994

Icon 9 posted      Profile for ShanShan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I am Shannon, I am currently extremely debating on whether to tell my dad whether I am gay or not. My mom and cousin know, but my mom seems very un-supportive, like she says that if I tell my dad that she won't tell him that she knows, because she doesn't want him to divorce her.

My home life makes me very unhappy, I am constantly worried because my dad could look on my computer and know I was gay. I have gotten so nervous that my hair is turning grey. You see, my dad is very homophobic and I know he would stop caring about me and send to one of those things to take the gay away. I want to move out of my house, but I don't want to hurt my little brother and my mom. But I have been on the verge of killing myself.

My mom has been depressed, and every time I do the tiniest thing I get yelled at. It would break her heart if I left, but I can't stand living in this house. A friend of mine said I could stay with her...what should I do?

--------------------
I have a wonderful bunch of coconuts.

Posts: 28 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carpe Diem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking care of yourself first and making sure *you* are safe is most important in my opinion.

It sounds to me like coming out at this time to your homophobic father could be potentially detrimental to your wellbeing, so I would consider waiting until you no longer live in his house before you disclose this to him, unless you really feel like you need to tell him now.

It seems to me that your current living situation is far from ideal, so perhaps you should consider taking your friend up on her offer, even if it's only temporary. Of course, a lot of this depends on your age. Are you at the age where you can leave your parents legally?

--------------------
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."
-Joseph Campbell

Posts: 210 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Shannon,
I'm really sorry you're in such a tough spot at home. I agree with happybunny and don't think now sounds like the right or safe time to come out to your dad. If you've been on the verge of suicide, you really need to seek help, whether through calling a helpline or talking to a counsellor. Please keep yourself safe and hang in there, it won't be like this forever. Who else can you talk to about this for support?

You talk about hurting your mother and brother by moving, but we need to take care of ourselves properly before we can take care of anyone else. Staying with a good friend could be a good idea for now.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it would be extremely helpful to find a counselor and a support system in your area. It's understandable you don't want to hurt your brother and mom by moving out, but you also need to take care of your own mental health. It worries me for you that you have been contemplating suicide and I think that finding support in your area is really important.

I would say at this moment it sounds like telling your dad is a risky situation.

I don't know if it is okay to post these here, but these were helpful for me:

1-888-THE-GLNH

And this one is a 24 hour GLBTQ crisis hotline-

Trevor Helpline: Crisis Intervention for LGBT Youth (800-850-8078)

Stay safe and know that there are people who support and care for you!

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jazper
Neophyte
Member # 56448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jazper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need help coming out of the closet to my family because well my mom and dad are homophobics

--------------------
All is fair in love and war :)

Posts: 16 | From: Houston Texas | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.