Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » How to turn someone down?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to turn someone down?
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine (Let's call her Sally) is being pseudo-stalked by a new friend of hers (let's call her Jane). Sally likes girls. Jane is aware, identifies as straight but has lately been acting pretty intensely towards Sally. Sally thinks Jane is cool, but doesn't really enjoy her company that much, and is uncomfortable with the amount of attention Jane is giving her. We're talking around 40 texts a day, lots of asking about where she is, hanging around in Sally's room after everyone else has gone home (sometimes asking to spend the night) and offering to go out of her way to be with Sally. Sally feels like a jerk because she's not interested in flirting back, but doesn't know if there's a tasteful/mature/kind way to ask someone to slow their roll and express non-interest.
What do you guys think? I've tried to give advice on the situation, and while I know there are going to be some hurt feelings no matter what, I'm drawing a blank on the best way to go about this.

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the best phrase to use in this situations is, 'Thanks but no thanks.' Sally can tell Jane she's flattered that Jane's interested, but unfortunately does not have the same feelings. She should tell her that, yes, she does think Jane is cool, but she just doesn't want to be anything more than friends.

--------------------
Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.