Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » shopping advice?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: shopping advice?
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So today, my girlfriend and I decided that we'd really like to start investing in a shared set of sex toys... starting with a strap-on. Thing is, neither of us have ever really shopped for something like this before. Does anyone have any recommendations, or any advice or warnings as we browse the wide commercial market?

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd stick to a shop that is women-owned or at least oriented towards women. I did a quick search and couldn't find one of those in Indiana, but there may be one.

Check out Good Vibrations, Babeland, Come As You Are (they're in Canada, but I think their welcoming site is a good first stop) or Blowfish online. The people who work there are mostly sex educators and know a huge amount about sex toys. Good Vibrations has live online chat help too. Those sites have great buying guides--advice about how to choose toys, tips on how to care for them, etc.

There are a ton of options though, and while you can certainly narrow it down, I think a first dildo is a bit of a crapshoot. So, I guess I'd advise not spending too much at first. Measure vegetables, your fingers, whatever, to get a sense of size.

[ 05-28-2009, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also add Venus Envy as a place with tons of choices and information. It's also a Canadian company, but I checked and they do ship to the States.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much! I'll start pointing and clicking right away ^.^

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

All right, I've run into one tiny problem... Google is having trouble finding the websites for Come As You Are and Venus Envy. [Confused]

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"

orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey not_a_hobgoblin, have you tried entering "sex toys" into the search after the name of the store? I tried that for each and they were the first entries that came up. Good luck [Smile]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

oh, thank you! (I was trying to enter "adult" after the name of the store, as it had worked for some of the others) [Smile]

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.