Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » 13th annual Day of Silence

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 13th annual Day of Silence
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
April 17, 2009 is the 13th annual Day of Silence. Over the past 12 years, more and more people have been participating the the day of silence as a way to call attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment and especially in hopes to find a solution to ending such behaviors.

Despite what some of you may have heard (As I heard from other students that someone that identifies as straight can't participate), people of ALL backgrounds, beliefs, and sexual orientations participate in the day of silence. The focus of the Day of Silence in schools is to promote changes and encourage schools to put into place policies that address these behaviors by students, teachers, and administration.

Are you planning anything for the day of silence? What, if anything, is your school planning for this day? How would you like students in your school to participate and how might we get the words out to all other students about the day of silence and how participating can make a difference? Most importantly, what do you hope to see your school and other schools do to help stop the harassment, bullying, and name-calling?

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3415 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never participated in the Day of Silence before, but I was wondering...how do people usually deal with teachers calling on them in class? I'm in a University and I'm not exactly sure what to do...not that I think I'd be likely to be called on anyway.
Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in high school my GSA had little slips of paper that explained the day of silence that you could hand to people.

You could hand a professor a slip at the beginning of class, or talk to the professor or email them ahead of time. At my school the teacher who ran the GSA sent an email to all of the faculty a few days earlier so they knew what to expect.

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Googling, I found an example of a standard card you could hand out.

quote:
Please understand my reasons for not speaking today. I am participating in the Day of Silence, a national youth movement protesting the silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and their allies. My deliberate silence echoes that silence, which is caused by harassment, prejudice, and discrimination. I believe that ending the silence is the first step toward fighting these injustices. Think about the voices you are not hearing today. What are you going to do to end the silence?
Also, during the Day of Silence, participants usually wear rainbow stickers during the day, so if a lot of students are doing it, professors might already know what it means when they see your sticker.

[ 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rosalinespork: The first thing you want to do is to find out what your school does if anything for this day, as well as if you happen to have a GSA, LGBTA, or other recognized group on your campus. If so, and they may already have a slip like bluejumprope said about above excusing you from speaking in class or you can talk to your professors beforehand about the day and your participation. Being in line with these organizations at your school can really help get things moving. Also, if there is a group in place, it usually helps to have the university backing on this day and the plans being made, so having a faculty advisor helps here in just knowing what channels to go through. Glad to hear you're getting involved:)

[ 03-04-2009, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3415 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idir
Activist
Member # 41176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is absolutely no way I can keep silent on April 17th, because I have a college interview, unfortunately [Frown]
Well. Fortunately. But unfortunately, these two incidents coincide, and college is more important.

(And, I don't think I would be able to shut up for a whole day anyway...)

--------------------
I know there is an over the rainbow for me.

Posts: 84 | From: Algeria | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Idir: Even if you have to talk for the college interview, you can participate in the day around that one event. I have other friends that have interviews or meetings and are attending them but not talking otherwise.

Also, I didn't think my first year participating that I could be silent a whole day, but it's a lot easier than it seems (even for outgoing types like me). It depends on the person though. So if you'd still like to participate, know that the interview doesn't have to stop you from doing so.

--------------------

orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump. [Smile]

Today is/was the National Day of Silence. Did you participate? Did your school hold any events? Please share. [Smile]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devourer
Activist
Member # 42595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devourer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-jumps aboard Orca's bump-

My school is recognizing day of silence, albeit a few days after today considering today was a Saturday in our time zone. So yes...I plan to participate. [Smile]

Posts: 42 | From: the Californian coast! | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until I read this post I didn't even know about the day of silence; it seems like a great idea. At my school though last year OSAID (Ontario Students Against Impaired Driving) did something similar to commemorate teens lost in alcohol related crashes.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 859 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michan
Neophyte
Member # 44481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that it's an awesome thing and I've actually done it twice in the past.
In fact, last year I held a fund raiser that day for an organization called AIDS Vancouver Island.
It was called "breaking the silence fund raiser for AVI"
We made about $250 dollars and it was our first one.
We're doing it again at the next day of silence too.

--------------------
~Mi-chan

Posts: 34 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.