Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » GLBT parents can be awesome

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GLBT parents can be awesome
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
This is less of a question and more of a rant.

So, I've recently met this woman who has been with her partner for around 20 years and they have two children. She has been a really kind and supportive person for me to talk to. It has also been good for me to see her family and to really know that this kind of family can be functional and happy. It has made the possibility feel more real.

She was telling me about her daughter at middle school, whose best friend was a Sri Lankan girl (I am also Sri Lankan). When the friend's parents had met one of the mothers alone, it had been fine. But once they had met the couple together, they started making excuses and avoiding their child. And the girls cannot be friends anymore. Which is a little bit heartbreaking.

It reminded me of when I was at middle school, and my best friend's mother was lesbian. The boys in our class used to taunt her with "Your mum's a lesbian!". And I would watch her anger and shame and I would shout back "Who cares?! It doesn't matter!". Perhaps not the best comeback, but 13 years later, I'm still shouting the same thing. Except, it feels more personal now.

Ir makes me sad and angry when our people act like this. I know it isn't everyone. I know it takes time for peoples' ideas to change and that it's so easy to be scared of something that you don't understand. But that isn't the fault of two 11 year old girls. Or of a wonderful couple who love their children to bits.

I think that one of the most harmful things we can do to our children is to teach them bigotry and intolerance.

[ 01-17-2009, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: eryn_smiles ]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idir
Activist
Member # 41176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to start by saying that I love your signature!

And of course queer parents are awesome [Smile]
Some of the few I knew are actually way better than their heterosexual counterparts.
First, the "LGBT-parents-are-bad"-argument is ridiculous. It says that LGBTs are more prone to diseases, are mentally ill, and all that. Or according to my very favorite source for comedy, the Concerned Women for America, gays have a shorter life span, whether they actually have sex or not. Suuuure.

While some of this may be true, it's not because of one's homosexuality, but because of society's intolerance for it, which results into stigmatization and discrimination of homosexuals, resulting in not-so-kosher behavior. Also, most studies prove that children raised by same-sex parents are as healthy as their "traditionally"-raised peers, both physically and mentally. And the gender roles excuse is just stupid. We allow single moms or dads to raise their kids, don't we?

It's pretty said that our culture still can't adapt to social progress, but these kids will grow up having something children of (most) straight people lack: an open mind.

And that the girl wasn't allowed to see her friend anymore made me think of this video about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

--------------------
I know there is an over the rainbow for me.

Posts: 84 | From: Algeria | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.