Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Bullying and the guy that i like.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bullying and the guy that i like.
Craig
Neophyte
Member # 33069

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Craig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well im 14 and have been out a Bi since september.
the whole school knows and not everyone likes the idea.
this is kinda a two problem topic.
My first problem is the bullying, everyone gets it but im getting it because im Bi and i've started to fight back now... school have said i can get kicked out just for fighting back....
then worst thing is all my friends get it as well.
And the other problem is the guy i like, i think he knows since we joked about it on the way home once but i havnt seen him much around school lately...
all i do is say "hi" because im to scared to go up and chat one-to-one...
he's really nice but how do i get to know him better?
its hard when he's in the year above as well and i dont want people saying things to him because of me like they do to my friends.
anyone got advice on all this?

Posts: 1 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off since your school said you could get kicked out for fighting back. Best bet in all honesty? Is to just ignore them, Eventually they will shut up and move on to another person to bully as that tends to be how school children are.

And as for the guy you like, You just got to talk to him, Maybe ask him if he wants to go see a movie or something. You dont even have to phrase it as a date but more as just hanging out asa friends. Than you could get to know him a bit more and see what hes really like not at school or on the bus.

Just talk to him! Thats the only way you can get to know him more.

Goodluck.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad_Stalin
Neophyte
Member # 23275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad_Stalin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well like bullying i didn't get much considering i tower over most people and basically look threatening. But as bullying goes it eventually dies down. They move on to someone else to bully. Fighting back only makes them want to do it more since they know they're getting some sort of reaction out of you. So give it time. It'll pass. Just ignore them.

And for the guy. Just talk to him. You can ask him to go to a movie, restaurant, park etc. anything that can get you guys together and talk to get to know each other a bit more.

Good luck I'm sure it'll work out fine ^_^.

--------------------
.Love.Me.To.The.Marrow.Of.My.Bones.

Posts: 10 | From: Laredo, Tx, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is, bullying doesn't die down in a lot of areas, and it can become a very real, pervasive and dangerous problem. Not to mention that since not everyone appears threatening (and we won't even get started here on how that doesn't really solve the problem anyway), bullying problems in school that continue often wind up hurting the most vulnerable most of all. So, rather than ignoring it, rather than fighting back the nonproductive way, addressing the harassment in a sound way helps to protect everyone, not just you.

Thankfully, most schools have or are en route to very clear policies on sexual harassment, which bullying over orientation is a form of.

If you school has not been responsive to your complaints -- best, by the way, issued formally, in a clear, typed letter, and delivered to the heads of the school, not with your fists or verbal abuse back to a bully -- then you can absolutely step it up and contact local GLBT organizations for help.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.