Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » How Do I Start a GSA?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Do I Start a GSA?
PrettyLostGirl
Neophyte
Member # 28199

Icon 6 posted      Profile for PrettyLostGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no GSA or anything similar at my school so I decided that I should be the *bold student* and try to form one. I already know that I'm gonna have to petition students (to start any club you need a certain number of students willing to join) and I've already started compiling a list of teachers I may ask to be the advisor.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for me? Any encouragement at all will be much appreciated.

--------------------
.Sixe.
Bisexual/Black/Hispanic Grrl and oh-so-PROUD.

"Life would be so wonderful, if only we knew what to do with it."
~Greta Garbo

Posts: 6 | From: R-Town | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
origami_jane
Activist
Member # 27369

Icon 14 posted      Profile for origami_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network) has dedicated a whole section of its site to this topic:

How to Start a GSA
(That's the link, even if it's being sneaky and doesn't look like it.)

If you can get your GSA started in time, you should try participating in the Day of Silence (April 26th). It's been really effective at my school, and we printed up little cards to explain why we weren't talking to classmates who asked.

As for personal experience, keep membership confidential. Sometimes the school GSA is the only place where GLBTQ youth feel safe, or it may be the only queer-friendly resource they have.

Good luck!!

[ 04-01-2006, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: origami_jane ]

Posts: 129 | From: Mid-Atlantic US | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're off to a good start. All you really need is enough students to form a club and a teacher who'll function as advisor. Then you and your other 'founding members' should sit down and figure out what exactly you want your club to do, when and where you want to meet, etc, because you're gonna want to have these facts and figures ready when you go and present your idea to the administration.

I suggest you talk to one or two close friends about it. Even if they're straight, you'll want to have them as support in case things get rough. Even at the most liberal school, there's going to be someone who will try to give you a hard time. I am not telling you this to discourage you, but rather so you'll be prepared for this. Chances are it will happen, and you should not let it stop you.

One more thing: Since you'll want to keep membership confidential, as Origami suggested, you might want to get someone on board who's versed in computers and can set up a simple website for you, so you can announce meetings and keep members informed without getting the whole school involved.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head, but if you have any questions, just ask. I was a founding member of the GSA at my old HS and I'd love to help you out. Good luck!!

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyLostGirl
Neophyte
Member # 28199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrettyLostGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, I now know where to go if I have any questions.

--------------------
.Sixe.
Bisexual/Black/Hispanic Grrl and oh-so-PROUD.

"Life would be so wonderful, if only we knew what to do with it."
~Greta Garbo

Posts: 6 | From: R-Town | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.