Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » I think I love, her, but I don't know if she is gay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I think I love, her, but I don't know if she is gay
Caroskis
Neophyte
Member # 27381

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Caroskis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I am totally in love with my best friend, but I don't know if she is straight or bi, because I know she likes boys, but it seems to me that she has given me some signals that she might like me, but I'm not sure. I have never been good at telling that sort of thing with guys, much less girls. I only came out to myself about 3 months ago, and the only one who knows is my sister. Also, normally, this friend would be the first I would tell, but since I like her so much, I am not as comfortable doing so as I otherwise would be. please help!!!
Posts: 3 | From: San Rafael, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an FYI.

It's really, really normal and very typical, when one first has any same-sex attraction, for it to be to a best friend. That isn't to discount what you're feeling, or say your feelings aren't in any way real or valid. Rather, it's to acknowledge that it's possible that at least some of what you're feeling for her, and what you're reading from her, is because this is someone you're very familiar with, and who you love emotionally regardless. Just worth thinking about a little.

Frankly, I'm always going to advise someone to give something like this time.

You just came out: hooray! So, how about getting out there just a little, even in terms of something like a GSA, or a local teen center or group for queer youth. Get used to what life is like being out, get a feel for being queer, make a queer friend you can talk to for some perspective. And by all means, consider coming out to your best friend, as a best friend: coming out isn't going to change if she's attracted to you or not if she is, after all.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caroskis
Neophyte
Member # 27381

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Caroskis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
Just an FYI.
You just came out: hooray! So, how about getting out there just a little, even in terms of something like a GSA, or a local teen center or group for queer youth. Get used to what life is like being out, get a feel for being queer, make a queer friend you can talk to for some perspective. And by all means, consider coming out to your best friend, as a best friend: coming out isn't going to change if she's attracted to you or not if she is, after all.

Well, I would really like to, but I am kinda afraid my mom would find out. I mean, I can't drive yet, and if I went someplace near school, she would want to know why I wanted to be picked up late. basically, I am not comfortable coming out to everyone else, and they might find out. A couple of kids recently said some really homophobic stuff on our website at school, and even though they were expelled, I don't know what the practical attidude to being gay is at our school. I would ask some one who is out already what being out at our school is like, but the only ones I know of graduated last year, so I don't know who to ask. basically, there are just a lot of people who I think would act negatively and I am just not ready for that.
but then again, I might. how do you find local groups for lgbt youth? I mean, I doubt they are in the yellow pages. Thank you for your advice.

Posts: 3 | From: San Rafael, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, how about contacting those kids who graduated last year?

Pretty much as a general rule, you'll find very few people who went through coming out unwilling to help out someone else. If there's a casual way to contact them, just saying something like, "We're not close, but I've recently come out, and I can't figure how safe that is at school. What was it like for you?" should do the trick. Those of us who are out all know how hard coming out can be.

Per local groups, you can usually just do a Google search with your area and GLBT, and if there are resources local to you, they should be relatively easy to find in that way.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shounen
Neophyte
Member # 28149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shounen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is not a GSA at your school, you could always start one. Just find a teacher you know will be supportive. You could always hold meetings at lunch.
Posts: 1 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.