Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Age Issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Age Issues
DevilChild666
Neophyte
Member # 27595

Icon 8 posted      Profile for DevilChild666     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I am datin a 13 year old girl, and I am 6 years older than she is, but she dont act her age, when I first saw her I thought she was like 17 or 18, but we love each other, and her moms boyfriend said if I didnt stop talkin to her then he was gonna take me to court, but they just dont understand, we talked today, we sneak around to see each other, shes knows what she wants, and her mom is tryin to help us out, her mom is ok with it. I am a female too. Is there any laws against the fact I am datin someone of that age, and can I still get in trouble since we are both the same sex and her mom approves of it?!?
Posts: 1 | From: Weston, WV, United States | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 10 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally speaking, for you to date her is perfectly within the legal realm. But be very aware that the age of consent for heterosexual relations in West Virginia is 16, while same-sex is 18. This means that if you do anything other than hold her hand and kiss her goodnight, you're committing a sex crime. You can be taken to court, and if found guilty, would have to register as a sex offender.

Her mother cannot "consent" to that for her daughter.

Sneaking around to see each other is a bad idea, too. It can instill a sense of irresponsiblity in the eyes of the parent, and generally spells trouble all around.

[This message has been edited by DarkChild717 (edited 02-19-2006).]

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Her Mom's approval doesn't change the law.

Can you DATE her? Yes.

Can you be sexually active with her? No. The age of consent in WV is 16, and you being same-sex actually makes the situation more restrictive, not less. From what I can tell, the legal age of consent for same-sex sex in WV is 18. In either case, you have any sort of sex with her, you're a satuatory rapist and a sexual offender.

So, if you're both smart -- and care about each other -- you'll ONLY date, and with every guardian's permission. That keeps you away from charges which could seriously screw up your life long-term, and would likely be used even more often against you as a lesbian.

Really, it's wisest to date someone a lot closer to your own age, for a whole host of reasons. The legalities aside, there are substantial differences between a woman of 19 and one of 13. You were 13 once: think about it.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.