Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » gay step-paretning if u call it that

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gay step-paretning if u call it that
unchosen_slayerette
Neophyte
Member # 25790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unchosen_slayerette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been in a relationship with this wonderful girl for seven months now. When we got together she had a 5 month old daughter. Well for the first few months I kinda stayed away from the baby so that I wouldn't get attached to the baby and not her mother. Its seven months later and now she's a year old. Now I know that she and I are a very sure thing for now and I spend alot of time with the baby. Kenny(the baby's daddy) barely has anything to do with her at all. They have joint custody and he gets the baby one week and Mary gets her the other. But he sometimes will leave in the middle of the night and just leave the baby with his parents...but thats a totally different story. Mary lives with her parents for money reasons and Mary and her family has been calling me the "step mommy" to the baby. It kinda bothers me. I do take alot of responibility for the child and I provide for her when I don't have to. Honestly, for her bday, her father and I were in the same room and she came to me with all her toys and cried when he picked her up. So what do I do? Is it going to confuse her if they keep insisting that I'm her "step-mother"? I really dont want to cause her any more problems in life than she'll already have (especially with her daddy and his idiot family) Am I over-reacting or what?

------------------
It's better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you're not

Posts: 3 | From: Chatsworth, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I'd suggest is that you simply tell her parents you'd prefer if they called you by your name to the child, not "stepmommy."

And that's wise, for everyone's sake, including yours: you don't have any sort of legal custody or parental rights, after all, so until such time as you want them and do, affixing a moniker that implies you've got them isn't so smart.

Posts: 67925 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.