Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » "That's so gay"- at work

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "That's so gay"- at work
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently started a new job and although the atmosphere is generally good, whenever something goes wrong the first comment anyone makes is "That's so gay!"
This has happened in front of supervisors, who laughed, and there have been other homophobic comments, like
"Go on, just snog him, you know you want to!" "Yeah, just admit it gayboy" in the staffroom.
I don't really know what to do- there is nothing about stopping homophobia in equality policy, and also I seem to be the only person who cares!
Should I say something, and will it make a difference?

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illuminatedmind
Activist
Member # 17190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for illuminatedmind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Often times, it only takes one person to make a difference.

If you wnat to get a feel of the grounding a bit better, you could try and make serious conversation about what some of your coworkers really think about being gay. Some people may just be trying to fit in by going with the flow, some may be really bad jokesters, some may really be homophobic.

If you're really willing to commit to a stand, go you! Then, I would say something.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murderdolls2007
Neophyte
Member # 18627

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Murderdolls2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dont know what to say but i got this job and everyone was talking about me behind my back asking adn saying i was gay and all this stuff witch im bi and if they have a problem with me they need to come up and say it to my face i dont like it when people talk about me behind my back..i dont care but if i know that they are or i hear them they need to come forward

------------------
Thanks,
Murderdolls Rule!
G.J.D

Posts: 6 | From: Grafton,Illinois,USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jethreau'shumblewife
Activist
Member # 17147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jethreau'shumblewife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just say something, notify someone who's in charge of that kind of stuff. Hopefully he/she will be mature enough to not name names when telling others to cool it with the anti-gay stuff.

------------------
would you forgive me, love, if I danced in your shower?

Posts: 59 | From: CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RainbowQueen
Neophyte
Member # 19098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RainbowQueen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ARRRRRRRRRGH THAT DRIVES ME INSANE.

(Sorry, I was just on a 10 day trip to England and faced a similar problem with the choir I was traveling with. I was ready to commit an extremely violent act involving someone's butt and a church steeple)

It's hard to stand up to that sort of thing, especially when there are large numbers of people involved. If you really want to stop it, be persistent. If you're carrying on an individual conversation with someone and they make a homophobic comment, just tell them-quietly, not losing your temper like me-that comments like that really offend you, and could they maybe stop?

Hopefully, that'll make a difference. And hopefully you'll find out that maybe other people feel the same way you do, and they'll work to stop it too.

Posts: 4 | From: Collingswood NJ USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally if it was one person I would just tell them that what they said was offensive, or in this case notify my supervisor. It's a bit difficult to do either of those things though when it's virtually the entire staff room and the supervisor is laughing along with it...

I think the last straw was when I was on my way home -my supervisor and a few work mates catch the same train as me- when the supervisor started talking about another guy (who works a different shift) complaining about homophobia. He said that the guy was just using "what he was" to get attention, and that people "like them" deserved it. So i told him how offensive that was, which didn't go down too well.

I decided that this, combined with the long hours was good enough reason to go for another job. So I handed in my notice, stating homophobia as my reason for leaving. Hopefully as I'm the second person to do this, it'll change.

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Rose:
I decided that this, combined with the long hours was good enough reason to go for another job. So I handed in my notice, stating homophobia as my reason for leaving. Hopefully as I'm the second person to do this, it'll change.

I'm sorry to hear about all of this, Sunset_Rose. Here's a website you might want to check out. http://www.stop-discrimination.info/index.php?id=3 I learned about this new legislation and campaign at a street fair a few months ago.

You shouldn't have to quit due to the homophobic work environment, instead it should have to change. However, while that is easier said than done, if you are serious about making sure it changes, this might be of some help to you.

------------------
"I'm a cunning linguist" ~Princess Superstar

(Edited because this applies to people living in EU countries. I somehow got the impression you were from the UK but now am thinking I made that up versus reading it! So, if you're from somewhere else, I apologize that it can't help but surely there is a law dealing with this type of discrimination and prejudice on the books...)

[This message has been edited by Ecofem (edited 08-04-2004).]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.