Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Coming out at boarding school

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coming out at boarding school
Joey_buffyrocks
Neophyte
Member # 16531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey_buffyrocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys!!

This is my first message and I might not be able to participate a lot because I have tons of work, especially during winter term, but anyway.

For the first time in my life, I'm attending a boarding school, and I always go to my school's GSA, because it's full of awesome people and always hilarious. Last week we started discussing coming out on campus. Our campus and school is, as far as I know and I've heard, a completely safe environment for GLBT youth, and the rules do include a passage about non-discrimination against someone based on their sexual orientation. We even have same-sex couple as house counsellors for our dorms. But because of campus rules (particularly the fact we have rather complicated room visitations rules for opposite-sex visitors - they can only visit at certain hours, with your house counsellor's authorization, and when the house counsellor is in the dorm ; also admitting you're dating a same-sex person means that person won't be allowed to sleep over in your dorm anymore, unlike same-sex peers usually are), coming out on campus is really not a smart idea.

How should boarding school deal with GLBT students in your opinion? How can they promote honesty, help the students being true to themselves and feeling at home, when coming out implies subjecting yourself to rules that wouldn't apply otherwise? (for example, visiting your girlfriend's dorm anytime for a girl) Should they have a special set of rules for the GLBT students? Should they encourage a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, therefore making it less comfortable for GLBT students but simplyfing the issue by ignoring it? Should they have GLBT students go by everybody's rules, ie not having special visitation or sleeping over rules?

I'd love to hear what you think,
~~~joey~~~

Posts: 7 | From: Andover, MA , USA or France | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually it sounds like your school is handling this very nicely. They've made your campus a safe place and allow openly GLBT partners to be staff. It also sounds like they're enforcing the rules fairly -- no special privileges for anyone.

Imagine if your school allowed heterosexual partners to have sleep-overs but denied that privilege to homosexuals? That would obviously be discrimination and the reverse is no better. So, I laud your school for keeping the rules consistent for everyone.

Can you still easily buck the system? Yes, it sounds like you can, but I agree with what they have in place.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.