Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Gay-Straight Alliance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gay-Straight Alliance
sparkleguy
Neophyte
Member # 14080

Icon 5 posted      Profile for sparkleguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I will be a sophomore in High School this upcoming September and I would like to start a gay-straight alliance but I don't know where to begin, is there anyone with experience that could give me some advice?
Posts: 1 | From: Nekoosa, Wi USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
got ya covered (from the GLBT Relationships forum FAQ):

Gay-Straight alliances: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum15/HTML/000042.html

------------------
more surly than girly...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovemeleaveme
Neophyte
Member # 13490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovemeleaveme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GLSEN has a ton of helpful info on GSAs here: http://www.glsen.org/templates/student

Also check out the GSA Network: http://www.gsanetwork.org

Both these sites have helped me immensely in planning a GSA at my own school for next year. Best wishes to you for a successful club!

------------------
edited - please do not post your full name. see our guidelines for more on this.

I could swear by your expression
That the pain down in your soul
Was the same as the one down in mine.
That's the pain,
Cuts a straight line
Down through the heart;
We called it love.

[This message has been edited by lemming (edited 07-27-2003).]

Posts: 9 | From: Cypress, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovemeleaveme
Neophyte
Member # 13490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovemeleaveme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*points to sig* that wasn't my full name, it was a pseudonym.

------------------
Jordaniene

"If you can't take the misery, stay out of the kitchen." Constantinos Smith, VCPR

Posts: 9 | From: Cypress, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about that then -- we have no way of knowing until you say something.

Posts: 67115 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, good for you for wanting to start one at your high school– one wasn't started at my rather conservative old high school until after I had graduated. The GSA has certainly made more people feel more comfortable about being out (versus the just two really open people at a school of 2,500 when I was there!)

Second, my college's GSA is called the LGBTSU (Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgendered-Straight-Union, although I'm sure you could figure that out on your own just fine!), actually Kaleidscope LGBSTU, to be more inclusive, although the name's still not totally inclusive.

Third, this may have already been covered, but getting support from teachers. While my college's student body and administration is conservative, the professors are very liberal and supportive of such organizations. They'll wear ribbons on pride days and show up to events. We also have a list of faculty and staff (as well as fellow students) who are queer or GLBT-friendly for students to visit or call for support in an emergency or just to chat.

I know there is not as much freedom in high schools (well, at mine at least) but I'm sure there are a bunch of teachers who would be willing to, for example, post a sign on their door that designates the room as a safe space.

Getting teachers involved is great for both publicity and support– concerned students can feel safer there and homophobic students know their ignorance and harassment won't be tolerated, at least under the watch of that particular teacher.

Good luck!

------------------
"Tear up the cloak of indifference that you have wrapped around your hearts! Make up your minds before it is too late!" ~Sophie Scholl

(Edited because I apparently couldn't spell the acronym of an organization I was an officer in so should know better!)

[This message has been edited by Ecofem (edited 07-28-2003).]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chickacherrycola
Neophyte
Member # 12324

Icon 7 posted      Profile for chickacherrycola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you taking the initiative to start a GSA at your school! I just graduated from high school, where I was very intrumental in forming the school's first GSA. Before you begin, I would recommend, talking to the principal of your school or another high-up faculty member in charge of clubs. The best way to make sure your GSA thrives, it to make sure that you have support from the school. Next I would contact a few faculty members or teachers that are interested in helping out. This isn't necessary if your goal is to have a student-led club, but I found it to be very helpful. And finally, be prepared to face harassment. High schools, by nature, are full of homophobes. Don't let this get you down! I know that in my case, there was quite a negative reaction to the newly formed GSA but with time and perserverance, it gained a fair amount of acceptance. Good luck!
Posts: 29 | From: Boulder, Colorado, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.