Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » "Boy Meets Boy" - gay dating reality show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Boy Meets Boy" - gay dating reality show
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 2 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bravo Network is hosting "Boy Meets Boy," a gay dating show premiering in July. (And this just after I wondered aloud last night when the gay dating shows were going to start up!)

The press release on Salon.com is here: Bravo to launch gay dating show

Of course, as with all these shows, there's a cruel twist in here; some of the potential "dates" are straight men. Hmm.

And also predictably, the Christian right is up in arms, planning to boycott the network and the show's advertisers. From the article:

quote:
Already, the Traditional Values Coalition plans to alert its 43,000 member churches to protest the series, said Andrea Lafferty, the Washington-based group's executive director.

"Clearly, they've hit a new low," Lafferty said. "What's next after `Boy Meets Boy'? `Boy Meets Sheep'?"

Awful, but not surprising. So what do you think?

Is it about time for a gay dating show? Where are the women? What's next? (And when will this horrible dating/reality genre wear itself out?)

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Take a little time for sunshine/Take a whole lot of time for love/...Take your life as it may come, 'cause boy, it'll be gone soon/Take a little time for howlin' at the moon..." - Sam Bush, "Howlin' at the Moon"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like the idea. I've been wanting some kid of GLBT dating show for a while. And even if it is a cruel twist in there concerning the straight actors, it's just like all the other dating shows. I can't wait for one to come out with women. yummy.

And as for the protesters, well, let them protest. Most people don't care what they say. At least most people I know don't.

And congrats to Bravo for being openminded.

------------------
Art is why I get up in the morning, but my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair, that I'm living for something I can't even define" - Ani D.

Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I don't like dating shows at all.

But, I think it is about time that the gay community were recognised on these shows..

I think that the twist of straight men would be interesting, but as long as no one takes these shows too seriously(and I don't think many people do), no harm, no foul right?

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of you might recall that some years back, on the American talk show 'Jenny Jones', a gay man revealed a secret crush on a straight coworker. No harm, no foul, right?

Actually no. The straight coworker is now spending 25-50 years in prison for murdering his gay coworker because of the embarassment it caused him. All the info you could want about this is right here: http://www.planetout.com/pno/news/features/1999/04/jones.html

Do we think that there's a chance of more cases of this sort emerging if straight men are introduced into the mix on these dating shows?

------------------
...and we raise the white flag, so they can paint it red and blue!
-Joel Plaskett, True Patriot Love

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least in this particular case, it looks as though the straight men in the dating pool are willing confederates of the show's producers, who are actually *trying* to get picked - if the gay guy picks a straight guy, the straight guy gets the money.
Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, but with the way television is headed these days, I wouldn't be surprised if some straight guys were unwittingly used on dating shows in the not-so-distant future.

------------------
...and we raise the white flag, so they can paint it red and blue!
-Joel Plaskett, True Patriot Love

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fly_little_wing
Activist
Member # 8684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fly_little_wing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read about this show over on the Teenage Chicken Soup message board. I wonder if we'll get it in Canada? Anyhoo, I think that's pretty sick. Of COURSE harm is going to be done! Have you ever watched shows like the Bachelor! The women who get kicked off often break down completely! I know those are women, but what if the poor guy picks a straight guy?? This is just a little twisted IMO. All gay guys- fine. But straight guys posing as gay... oh lord, what is this world coming to?

------------------
And now she's walking through the clouds with a circus mind that's running wild. ~ Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales. ~ All she ever thinks about is riding with the wind. ~ When I'm sad she comes to me. ~ With a thousand smiles she gives to me, free. ~ 'It's alright, it's alright' she says. 'Take anything you want from me. Anything.'

Posts: 41 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.