Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Ok, what's your opinion?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ok, what's your opinion?
rabidferret
Neophyte
Member # 12664

Icon 12 posted      Profile for rabidferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allright, some background first- I'm a 16 year old lesbian. Whenever anyone asks me if i'm a virgin, i have to ask them what their definition of virgin is. I have never head penis-vagina intercourse (or penis-anything intercourse, for that matter), and don't forsee it at all in my future. However, i have had sex with girls- oral and fingering. some say no penis means i'm a virgin, but that seems incorrect, since i've had quite a healthy sex life. others say i'm not, since i've gone as far as i can go as a lesbian. What do you think? what's your definition of virginity? Ever see that scene in Chasing Amy, on the swings? that sort of thing.
--Amy (rabidferret)

------------------
...Amy
[quote]'tis better to be
hated for who you are,
than loved for who you
are not.[quote]

Posts: 7 | From: houston, texas, usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check it out:

-Article about virginity.

-Discussion of the article.

We're pretty big on discussing virginty in those sorts of ways around here.

------------------
...and we raise the white flag, so they can paint it red and blue!
-Joel Plaskett, True Patriot Love

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabidferret
Neophyte
Member # 12664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rabidferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh thanks, don't know how i missed the article- my bad..

------------------
...Amy
[quote]'tis better to be
hated for who you are,
than loved for who you
are not.[quote]

Posts: 7 | From: houston, texas, usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might also find this thread interesting:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/003512.html

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a personal note, I don't define virginity in any context other than the historical, and when discussing it as a concept others use. In other words, I have never had any personal defintion, because I find the concept abhorrent, misogynistic and flatly, dehumanizing and reductionist.

I was a rape victim at an early age. And -- like you, rabid -- I had boyfriends and girlfriends both (and many of them) who I was sexually active with well before I had penis/vagina intercourse. And when I had consensual intercourse, it wasn't any more different for me when it came to sex than, say, driving is different from one car or one street to another: different view, different feel, different color, still driving.

So, I never used that term or concept in relation to my sexuality because it held absolutely no meaning or relevance for me whatsoever. And if you don't find it has for you either, you don't HAVE to put yourself in its context -- you can simply say that it isn't something you find has meaning, or that you protest the notion of it (if you do), or that you just don't think sexuality and sex is so simple as that.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.