Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » like a virgin -- no, wait, i AM a virgin. right.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: like a virgin -- no, wait, i AM a virgin. right.
randomgirl
Neophyte
Member # 12889

Icon 4 posted      Profile for randomgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I just joined, because sex has suddenly become an issue for me! A couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd never have the opportunity to be intimate with anyone. But now I kind of am, and I'm thinking about sex . . .

I decided this belongs in the GLBT forum because it's a lesbian relationship, and I kind of want a queer perspective on it.

Questions:

The girl I am with is very sensitive sexually, and can't do much for me when I'm pleasuring her. But I really don't care! I'm happy to have the focus on her. Is that weird? She wants to know what I want, but I don't care about what I want. ?

Also, we haven't had sex, and she says we don't have to if I don't want to. I do want to, but I'm worried about STDs. How can I talk to her about this? I'm worried she'll think I think she's slutty. I already asked her if she slept with X___, this guy she dated for two weeks earlier this year. (She didn't.) And she couldn't believe I could think such a thing, so I don't know what to think.

She doesn't label herself, so I really have no idea if she's slept with guys, and I think she's had sex with girls but it feels weird to ask that, because "girl sex with girls" is so vague and all-encompassing.

Finally . . . we're at college, and we leave for home in a few days. She may not feel the same way in September. I can't decide if that means I should take this opportunity to have sex while it is present, or if I should wait because the relationship may be temporary, or if I should wait in the hopes that it will make the relationship less temporary. (I tend to think the last one is a dumb idea, but it also seems very common, what with the whole "he dumped me after I slept with him" thing . . . ) My reasons for having sex with her would be -- I don't know -- a very simple "I reeally want her"!

Whoa, sorry if that was way too much info . . . I'm just kind of lost right now. Your advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 5 | From: miami, florida | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Roses
Activist
Member # 9928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Roses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a somewhat similar situation last year...please wait! And give yourselves some time to readjust after the break before having sex. I didn't do this, and really regretted it. My relationship was somewhat different than yours, and yours probably has a much better chance of continuing than mine did, but there's no harm in waiting until you have more time together ahead of you to take that next step.

Sorry I can't give you advice on how to approach her about STD's and things, but I'd feel pretty awkward, too :-/

Posts: 105 | From: Bryn Mawr, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be qute honest, I'm not really sure what you're asking...

If you're talking about sex or readiness to have sex, then no one but you can decide whether the time is right or not.

You might want to check out

Ready or not?- The readiness checklist

And lesbian sex is not "vague and all encompassing", for almost everyone it is just as important as "sexual intercourse" (which could vbe very important, or not at all).

However, that also means that STD's are still a concern.
If you're not sure about pritection, then I'd suggest

Safe, sound and Sexy- A safe sex how to

I hope thise articles help.

If you want to post back and clarify what exactly you're asking, then we can give more advice.

-Bek

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randomgirl
Neophyte
Member # 12889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randomgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Slayer_gurl:
To be qute honest, I'm not really sure what you're asking...

If you're talking about sex or readiness to have sex, then no one but you can decide whether the time is right or not.

Yeah. I'm asking for perspectives and advice on my situation, not prescriptions for exactly what I should do.

quote:
And lesbian sex is not "vague and all encompassing", for almost everyone it is just as important as "sexual intercourse" (which could vbe very important, or not at all).

Yeah, absolutely it's just as important, but it is also vague. Straight people who are "thinking about HAVING SEX" don't really need to clarify what that means. Queer girls do. Do you disagree with that? If so, why? X_x

I know STDs are still a concern. That is why I mentioned that I am concerned about them.

Posts: 5 | From: miami, florida | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randomgirl
Neophyte
Member # 12889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randomgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Roses:
I was in a somewhat similar situation last year...please wait! And give yourselves some time to readjust after the break before having sex.

Yeah, that's a thought. I forsee us jumping each other after break (if she's still interested). I guess that's not . . . good . . .

Thanks for the advice.

[This message has been edited by randomgirl (edited 05-02-2003).]

kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to bringing up issues of safer sex, you might consider bringing it up in a very matter-of-fact sort of way, along the lines of "hey, I think it's a really good idea to use dental dams and gloves during sex, because I don't want either of us to take risks with our health." Then you can (if necessary) explain that lack of prior partners doesn't guarantee that neither of you have STDs.

And actually, straight people often do have to clarify what they mean by having sex -- or should, since "sex" is not synonymous with "penis-in-vagina intercourse" -- although it is often used as if it were. Being vague about such things can be a big problem in relationships of any variety, which is why we always encourage people to talk in detail rather than making assumptions or guesses at what something might mean.

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.