Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » In desperate need of help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In desperate need of help!
rosepetals3
Neophyte
Member # 12355

Icon 9 posted      Profile for rosepetals3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might just sound like I'm making a big deal out of nothing but here goes...

I'm pretty sure I'm a lesbian. I'm 12 (nearly 13) and I've never had a crush on a boy before. I don't find them attractive at all, although I do have a few as friends. I sort of thought I might be a lesbian when I was 11 and got a crush on my old teacher Miss Bennett. It messed me up completely, I thought I was going crazy and I used to cry every night wondering what was wrong with me. I did tell a few friends about it, and they thought it was odd but OK. Then I kind of got over my crush but for some reason actually told Miss Bennett about it in an email.

Here is her reply:
"You dozy thing! Of course I haven't gone off you! That sort of thing is very normal and happens to most people at some point in life - although I have to say I think you're barmy! I'm glad you're all sorted now - and I'm very glad you told me - I've been imagining all sorts of terrible things happening to you! But no - it's just the joys of adolescence on the way!"

I think that was pretty nice of her, but she was implying I wasn't a lesbian at all and I just had mixed up feelings. Then afterwards I realised I was really attracted to girls. I mean, when a "hot" guy came on TV, my friends would go on about how yummy he is, and I'd just be like "yeah, whatever". And when girls came on screen I'd just think about how pretty they were, and generally feel more "that way" about them.

Then I got a crush on my sister's friend, Claire, who's 18 now. That hurt, and still does. I just feel...I can't describe how I feel about her. She's amazing, this hardly feels like a crush and more like love. I told her too, and she was surprised (she doesn't like herself much so she was surprised someone else did so much) but she's OK with it too. My sister, Anna (17) and I talk with eachother a lot, we're very close, and I've told her all this. She thinks she might be bisexual so she is quite understanding.

Then when I started high-school, I met this girl called Amy, she's gorgeous, and I have a little bit of a crush on her too (so it's two people). But then came the big thing. I told my new friends, my closest ones, that I was a lesbian. It seemed easier to say that than to say "oh, well, i think i might be". Then somehow the rumour got around school, and I mean ALL AROUND school. Even now I get total strangers coming up to me saying "excuse me, are you a lesbian?". And I hate it. People can be so horrible to me, just because of that. I have to admit I do usually say yes, but still...

I guess I just want to know, does this mean I am a lesbian? I've never felt attracted to guys at all, only girls. People say I'm too young to decide, but my sister knows a couple of gay people who say they kind of knew when they were younger. I talked to a 27 year old lesbian on the internet who said she kind of knew since she was about 9, and my sister's friend Bryn said he knew when he was 14.

But it used to completely wreck my life. I got involved in self-mutilation as well, very briefly (I just cut my leg twice).

I don't have a specific question. I just want to know how you feel about all this, what are your opinions? I need help!

Sorry for having such a long post.
Jeni

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you only find yourself attracted to women, then it's certainly likely you're at least bisexual, if not lesbian. But the important thing is that only YOU get to make that call: if you feel best identifying as lesbian right now, that is totally fine. If at some point you discover you aren't, you get to change that. None of this is set in stone: sexual identity can be quite fluid in people's lives.

It's true that most heterosexuals find themselves with some same-sex crushes or attractions during formative years, too. It's unfortunate that often it's assumed that's what all early same-sex attraction MUST be. I think your teacher was well-meaning, but if she isn't bisexual or lesbian herself, she can't really be expected to know what that feels like.

I know for myself, that I knew I was solidly bisexual when I was around 14, but I had a pretty good inkling as early as when I was 10 or 11. And again, you don't have to decide for the rest of your life now: what you feel right now is perfectly valid.

Unfortunately, dut to Internet laws, only users 13 and up may post at Scareleteen, and in order to be accepted for registration, your entered birthdate has to be above that age. That means you fibbed about your birthdate to register, which isn't okay. We just aren't allowed to have registered users at your age. You can have a parent or guardian contact us via email to give permission if that works, but otherwise, you need to be at least 13 to continue posting.

You can, however, read the main site itself as much as you like.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nappyafrochik
Neophyte
Member # 11950

Icon 12 posted      Profile for nappyafrochik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you feel what you feel. don't force yourself to make a decision about it. BTW, what does "blarmy" and "dozy" mean?

------------------
--->O_o<---

Posts: 20 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.