Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » "That's Gay"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "That's Gay"?
Quinn
Neophyte
Member # 11849

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A group of people that I've known for about a year now are always saying, "That's so gay" or "This is gay" whenever they get frustrated with ANYTHING. No one says anything to them about it, and it only started bothering me recently, because I haven't had classes around most of them for a while. What do I say/do? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I typically say, "Yeah, (that object/whatever) really is attracted to a/an (object) of the same gender." Sometimes I follow that statement with a muttered, "...genius...".
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum15/HTML/000064.html

Previous thread on the subject.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheshire_kitty
Neophyte
Member # 9483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheshire_kitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My school is notorious for using that phrase. It seems like it's a requirement to get in there!

I have a habit, that whenever one of my friends says something is gay, I reply with 'Yes, I'm sure it's homosexual' or 'Yes, tis rather happy'. Works most of the time ^_^

Posts: 6 | From: Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG. I get sooo annoyed about this. People I know say 'thats so gay' to mean 'thats so stupid'
Everytime someone says it I try to remind them that gay has never meant stupid, but I think most of my friends have kinda got the message now and don't say it around me. It just annoys me because people seem to either use it as an insult to gay people, or they just don't think and say it when everyone else does, to mean something stupid.

I like the idea of saying 'Yeah, that really is happy' etc. though. I may try it next time!

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quinn
Neophyte
Member # 11849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even understand exactly how that saying would come about. Even if someone hates gay people, I doubt they would make it a point to include that into their speech as much as possible.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always say "Yes, of course (insert name of object) have sexual orientations!"
Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slayergurlie149
Neophyte
Member # 12218

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Slayergurlie149     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I have lots of people at my school say that and it offends me now because I am bisexual and know one of my friends is completely gay. That does not make them bad. I wish people would cut this out but because of the society we live in that degrades homosexual activites I doubt that this will change soon.

------------------
Keep up what you think is right even if you are looked at. Heck you live a little feel much.

Posts: 4 | From: Glendale, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrsweed
Neophyte
Member # 10268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrsweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say it all the time. My gay friends do too, so i figure, hey if they can so can I.
Posts: 25 | From: Crown point, IN, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay226
Neophyte
Member # 12520

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jay226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mrsweed:
I say it all the time. My gay friends do too, so i figure, hey if they can so can I.

I guess what your gay friends ment was a particular thing that looks stereotipically homosexual, as in saying "That shirt is so gay" to a guy in pink shirt.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay226
Neophyte
Member # 12520

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jay226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mrsweed:

I guess what your gay friends ment was a particular thing that looks stereotipically homosexual, as in saying "That shirt is so gay" to a guy in pink shirt.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pisces
Activist
Member # 11886

Icon 7 posted      Profile for pisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay226:

I can't really tell if you are serious or not (darn emotionless internet... ^_^; ) but not neccessarily. There is no rule that says only hetero people use the word gay in a slang or derogatory way.

[This message has been edited by pisces (edited 04-08-2003).]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nappyafrochik
Neophyte
Member # 11950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nappyafrochik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i'm bi and i always say "jeez that is SO gay" and last year me and my friends made up the word "homorific" and i still use that one occassionally. it's just a slang term like everything else. Remember, gay didn't start off as homosexual either, it just came to mean that. words evolve. no need to get upset.

------------------
--->O_o<---

Posts: 20 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElfGirl
Neophyte
Member # 12713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElfGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my school's Gay/Straight Alliance we have been trying to reduce the use of the word "gay" as derrogatory term. The best thing to do (if you're comfortable enough to speak out) is to simply say something along the lines of...

"It really bothers me when you say that... because I think its degrading towards gay people."
"When you use the word gay in that manner it really offends me... because I have friends who are gay and I care about and support them"
"I'd appreciate it if you didn't say that around me... because I am gay and that offends me."

...Or basically any variaton/rearragement on the above themes. Its just important that you politely introduce the problem and then state why it bothers you. Any friend who cares about your feelings will stop saying something that offends you if you ask nicely.
Sometimes it takes courage to speak out but once you do it a few times it gets a lot easier.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"When you use the word gay in that manner it really offends me... because I have friends who are gay and I care about and support them"
"I'd appreciate it if you didn't say that around me... because I am gay and that offends me."

While those statements may be effective, I'd like to note that it's not necessary to have a personal affiliation with someone to consider it worth defending.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

I still love you, oh, I still love you
...Only slightly, only slightly less than I used to

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElfGirl
Neophyte
Member # 12713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElfGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Milke:
While those statements may be effective, I'd like to note that it's not necessary to have a personal affiliation with someone to consider it worth defending.

Its obviously not necessary, the point is simply to help the person understand a reason why you might not like it. Some people find it easier to relate to your discomfort when you tell them a more personal reason that it bothers you besides "i just don't like it." which is certainly fine, but sometimes harder for certain people to understand and pay attention to. anyhow, they're just suggestions... variations on a theme (tell them it bothers you, then tell them why, the reason doesn't matter)

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.