Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Gay Parent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gay Parent
britt0285
Activist
Member # 11036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for britt0285     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents are divorced and my father is a homosexual. I love him very much and we get along great. We are really close and talk all the time. A few of my friends know that my father is gay, and it doesn't bother them at all. The problems is a lot of my friends never meet my dad because he lives in a different area and I live with my mom. I sometimes wonder if it hurts his feelings that I don't let all of my friends know. I was just wondering if someone else is in the same type of situation?
Posts: 87 | From: TX | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
britt0285
Activist
Member # 11036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for britt0285     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no one else has a gay parent???
Posts: 87 | From: TX | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not me, but Ashley on Degrassi once did. I thought that wads cool.
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
britt0285
Activist
Member # 11036

Is DeGrassi good? I have seen it advertised but I have never watched it? Isn't it on the channel that still plays Daria, hehe I used to love Daria when it came on MTV
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a gay parent but I do know how I feel when people introduce me as gay or make a point of telling others that I'm bi. I find it very odd -- afterall, that isn't a terribly significant thing and it's not something I find it necessary to share right off the bat.

Obviously your father may have a completely different outlook; have you discussed this with him?

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
britt0285
Activist
Member # 11036

Well thats not really what I mean. I am having trouble explaining. And yes it does bother my father when people do introduce him as gay. I guess that it doesn't matter that my friends know. I just want to make sure he knows that I really accept it and it doesn't matter to me. He said that he was soo scared when he told me that I would think he was disgusting or wouldn't love him. I was totally shocked by that because that is something that is just not in my personality. However, he had, had a friend who told his children and they no longer speak.
It confuses me why someone would ruin a relationship with their parents because of that. I guess maybe that some ppl feel betrayed that their parent lied to them. But I totally understand that it would be scary for them at first to tell their family.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.