Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » How do I know?!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I know?!?
imchopin
Neophyte
Member # 7592

Icon 8 posted      Profile for imchopin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lordie lord! This is SOOOO frustrating! (Let me pause to say I'm a somewhat clsoted gay guy, 15, freshman...) You see, I have a lot of guy friends, a lot of girl_friends (female friends, une amie). I'm a pretty funny guy, and sometimes when I get into something funny with a few of my guy friends, I can SWARE they're looking at me with this non-hetero adoration. AND...and...my best guy friend never has mentioned girls in his life, never seems to check any out, and does the same weird look when we're joking around. Of course, I don't "like" him, the thought is too weird...but these others....it KILLS me to thinik of the possibilities...
Am I just trying to catch fish in the air? Seeing possibilities where there are none because of my desperate longing for a relationship with a guy? Thats most likely what it is...how sad...Please, SOMEONE, offer yuor advice, your opinions, scorn, anything...

Posts: 4 | From: Texas (barf), USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NormalDancinGuy
Neophyte
Member # 9262

Icon 12 posted      Profile for NormalDancinGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey man dont worry about it - im a freshman too and im bi , if your friends are actually checking you out then i would just casually bring up this website and see their reaction on in and just play the game. I actually was in that same predicament but now my friends and i are cool

\___/

Posts: 10 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NormalDancinGuy
Neophyte
Member # 9262

Icon 6 posted      Profile for NormalDancinGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that didnt come out as i planned but it was sposed to be a smiley !
Posts: 10 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mnsouthpawjr
Activist
Member # 9384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnsouthpawjr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not 100% sure if inviting your friends to this website and playing along about it would work. This could help your cause but it could make things worse.

You may want to consider the advice in (please read click on each next page in this link)-- Don't let the Door Hit You on the Way Out

You may also want to contact a counselor, teacher, or Gay Straight Association for input on ways to come out

[This message has been edited by mnsouthpawjr (edited 10-10-2002).]

Posts: 73 | From: Louisville, KY USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just a note, mnsouthpawjr: please don't retitle the pieces you're linking you. Either list them by URL or their actual titles -- giving them your own titles attaches interpretations and tones that may or may not be there, and "not overdoing coming out" is certainly not the tone of that piece that was intended. Thanks!)

In terms of your scenario, chopin, the only way you're going to find out if your feelings are correct is to ask, which I'm guessing you're not comfortable doing yet. Game-playing really isn't a good way of communicating with people, and it tends to be a recipe for disaster.

Is it possible you're reading into things because you're loney? Sure. And you'd hardly be the first person that did that. So, perhaps a good idea is to start taking some steps out of the closet yourself so that you CAN feel comofrtable asking in some scenarios at some point. otherwise, if and when someone you do like likes you back, you may never find out, especially if they're as closeted as you are.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a quick kinda cute story to tell sort of relating to this.

I'm currently a senior in high school. In my sophmore history class, I met this kid Andy. We became pretty good friends and came up with a silly "conjoined twins" joke between us. I came out as gay and always thought it would be sort of ironic if he turned out to be gay, too, just because we're "twins" and all, y'know?

We became best friends. Imagine my surprise when he said, "Quack...how do I say this...um...I like boys."

That story always makes me warm and squishy inside.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imchopin
Neophyte
Member # 7592

Icon 3 posted      Profile for imchopin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really appreciate everyone's advice...
I'd like to start a GSA at my school (preferably when I'm NOT a freshman...) but I'm basically terrified of the consequences of coming out on a grand scale in such homophobic place...::cough:: Texas ::cough::
Whaddya think?

Posts: 4 | From: Texas (barf), USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doobydoo
Neophyte
Member # 10249

Icon 7 posted      Profile for doobydoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Texas can't be any worse than Kentucky.
Posts: 3 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.