Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Is it legal ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it legal ?
Product_of_Sweden
Neophyte
Member # 8353

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Product_of_Sweden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if it was legal for two people of the same sex to get married. I am gay of course, and if I meet someone that I want to marry I would like to. I know there are a lot of people that look down on it but they have to get with the f****** times. It's not the 17th century. Times are changing and we should be chaging with them. So is it?

------------------

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shenzie2007
Activist
Member # 9027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shenzie2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, if you use the search function under 'gay marriage' or 'same-sex marriage' you should get a load of results.
To answer your question, no, same-sex couples may not legally marry. Only heterosexual couples may marry; and no more than two people may be married to each other. Why? It doesn't seem fair.

------------------
"And if the answer isn't violence, neither is your silence" --Pop Will Eat Itself - Ich Bin Ein Auslander

Posts: 73 | From: dallas, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, of course, whether or not same-sex couples can legally marry depends on where you're at.

For instance, in the Netherlands, I understand, the whole thing is totally legal over there. Someone else oughta feel free to correct me if my info is off. Also, in the U.S. state of Vermont, there's a system of 'civil unions' where same-sex couples can basically get all of the things that marriage would give them, but they just don't call it 'marriage'. There's a similar 'civil union' deal here in the Canadian province of Quebec.

But, yeah, search function is good.

------------------
"I can tell by the way you take your infusion, you've spent some time in a mental institution"
-Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire, Etch-a-sketch

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fly_little_wing
Activist
Member # 8684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fly_little_wing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Toronto, a lesbian couple got a marriage certificate by saying that one of the women was the groom. Cool idea, eh? So technically, their marriage is legal because their have a certificate signed by whoever the important people are. There was an article in the Toronto Star on Wednesday, and that's where I got this info from. Currently the Ontario gov't is trying to decide whether to change the definition of marriage from 'one man and one woman' to 'two people'.

------------------
And now she's walking through the clouds with a circus mind that's running wild. ~ Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales. ~ All she ever thinks about is riding with the wind. ~ When I'm sad she comes to me. ~ With a thousand smiles she gives to me, free. ~ 'It's alright, it's alright' she says. 'Take anything you want from me. Anything.'

Posts: 41 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.