Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » How have you met people

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How have you met people
fly_little_wing
Activist
Member # 8684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fly_little_wing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone!
This is my first post at scarleteen.com.
I've just recently realized I'm not straight. (Whether I'm bi or lesbian, I'm not sure). And I would love to meet someone my own age who's bi or gay. I was just wondering how you guys have met people. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I'm new to all this. I don't know ANYONE my age who's gay/bi. I know it is always said that you probably know someone who's gay/bi, but just don't know it. But I'm not exactly going to go around asking everyone I know "Are you gay?" LOL So yeah, if you could just respond and tell me how you've met people in the past, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks, and see you around!
~Little Wing~

Posts: 41 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shh
Activist
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the real world:
It's a bit stereotypical, but I've met many a gay person through the drama department.
Joining the gay-straight alliance at your school, if you have one, is a good place to start (even though it's summer and you're probably on break).
Also, do a google search for glbt organizations in your area. In Minneapolis, for example, there is District 202, a glbt-youth community center. They have Queer Prom every year, plus dances and drag shows on Saturdays.
Finally, just be observant. Look around for pride symbols (rainbows, inverted pink triangles, etc) on backpacks and clothing.
Online:
Scarleteen, of course. www.mogenic.com www.planetout.com
I know there are others, but I can't think of any offhand.
Good luck!

Posts: 40 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a Minneapolitan, I'd just like to note that I went to Queer Prom and a drag show. It was very fun. One of my friends performed in the drag show, but we had to leave before he went on.

Now, on meeting people, for me, once I was out I started to meet all sorts of gay and bi people because they felt that they could confide in me to talk about which girls I thought were hot, or what coming out was like, or just whatever. But I'm not saying come out right now or else, becuase if you're not ready, then that could be a pretty bad thing.

As shh said, I'd start with Mogenic (very cool site). I've met quite a few people from my area there which really surprised me.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fly_little_wing
Activist
Member # 8684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fly_little_wing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much! I'll try Mogenic!
Posts: 41 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shh
Activist
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey DrQuack, Queer Prom rocked! My girlfriend and I wandered all about the hotel. It was so fun!
Do you go to 202 a lot?

Posts: 40 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm...I haven't a lot lately, but I think I will be going more over the summer.

My best boy's boyfriend will be away for most of the summer, so I'll get some more time with him. And I also told one of my friends that I will make her go with me to a dance at 202 at some point this summer.

And that's so weird, I thought I checked to see where you from and I swear it said, "Canada" which made me really confused as to why you were mentioning 202. Now I get it.

EDIT: Now I know why I thought you were from Canada...

[This message has been edited by DrQuack5 (edited 06-18-2002).]

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukartgurl
Neophyte
Member # 9009

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ukartgurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eeeeek

[This message has been edited by ukartgurl (edited 04-18-2005).]

Posts: 10 | From: uk | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sh!mmeR!ng*staR
Activist
Member # 6475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sh!mmeR!ng*staR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think you should try and see if your area has any sort of pridefest-type things or gay proms. if they do, by all means go. you're bound to meet girls your age there.

------------------
Prosperity that
the golden Muses
gave me was no
delusion: dead, I
won't be forgotten
-Sappho

Posts: 97 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fly_little_wing
Activist
Member # 8684

quote:
Originally posted by Sh!mmeR!ng*staR:
i think you should try and see if your area has any sort of pridefest-type things or gay proms. if they do, by all means go. you're bound to meet girls your age there.

Yeah, but I'm only 15 so I can't drive or anything. If I took the bus, my parents would ask where I was going. And the gay pride parade was a few weeks ago and I wasn't in town for it.

------------------
And now she's walking through the clouds with a circus mind that's running wild. ~ Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales. ~ All she ever thinks about is riding with the wind. ~ When I'm sad she comes to me. ~ With a thousand smiles she gives to me, free. ~ 'It's alright, it's alright' she says. 'Take anything you want from me. Anything.'

luckygrrl
Neophyte
Member # 9310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luckygrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes the best thing you can do to meet people is to just let everyone else know you're lesbian (or bi). You just might be pleasantly surprised. I'm a bi girl who only had the guts to start flirting with my crush after she told me she a lesbian. We've been going out for a couple months now and it never would have happened if she hadn't come out into the open.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fly_little_wing
Activist
Member # 8684

Yeah, but I'm totally not ready to come out. If I met someone who was a lesbian I'd be more inclined to come out. But that this moment, I'm just not ready.

------------------
And now she's walking through the clouds with a circus mind that's running wild. ~ Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales. ~ All she ever thinks about is riding with the wind. ~ When I'm sad she comes to me. ~ With a thousand smiles she gives to me, free. ~ 'It's alright, it's alright' she says. 'Take anything you want from me. Anything.'

ice_magick
Neophyte
Member # 7369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ice_magick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when I came out as bi at summer camp people laughed at me and mdew jokes about me and thought i was kidding. However one girlsaid I was her role model because i was brave enough to put it out in the open. repercussions to coming out are like an injection. It seems prolonged, but it's really short. And it may sating afterwards, but it's never half as bad...A good idea would be to just grit your teeth and throw open the door, unless you truly fear for your physical safety.
Posts: 34 | From: Baltimore,MD,21214 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.