Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » your parents just got cooler...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: your parents just got cooler...
HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks
Activist
Member # 7347

Icon 6 posted      Profile for HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We hear a lot about how parents are unaccepting, or even mean and cruel about their kids' sexuality...well, here's a place to discuss how they got cooler. Even if it's "at first my mom wouldn't even talk about the issue that I was queer, but now she actually asks me questions about my girlfriend" or if it's a "he wouldn't accept it, now he's a total queer youth advocate". Any step towards being okay with it is a good step, and I want to hear them.

I guess I should start off with the inspiration for this topic. My parents went up several steps in cool yesterday. I was allowed to go out yesterday (for the past couple of months my social life is going to the bookstore to read), they gave me twenty bucks to go out (another thing that they never do. usually my mom is unhappy to cough up the $2.20 to fund for two bus rides and two phone calls), and they let me drive with a teenage driver (my brother can drive with whoever he wants whenever he wants, I can drive with one person I've known for five years). So they're climbing the charts on coolness factor.

Then at my 10 o'clock phone call (I had to call every hour on the hour while I was out) they told me to come home. The girl I'm with lives very far away from my house, and my area. She actually lives on a town up on the mountain Her parents didn't want her driving so late. I call again to ask if she can spend the night...*dun dun dun* they say yes.

So, what's the big deal? I haven't had anyone spend the night since they found out that I like chicks, and whenever I have a girl over (which isn't often, I don't like to bring people home...) the door must be *wide* open (hard to hold private convs).

My mom did ask me (in a whisper while we hugged) if she was queer. I told her no to assuage her fears (the girl likes girls some, but not as much as she likes guys, and she doesn't like me).

Can you believe it? I'm still in shock.

Posts: 103 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
element45
Neophyte
Member # 8329

Icon 12 posted      Profile for element45     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hola,
I just wanted to say that i met you at gay pride with kimi. I was the chic with the short blonde hair who hooked up with Shandi. I am sooooo happy for you. The fact that your parents are starting to be more accetable to your sexuality is great. I think your parents should start to rub off on mine.
happy times
megs

Posts: 28 | From: las vegas, nevada, usa | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.