Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » dillemma

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dillemma
ice_magick
Neophyte
Member # 7369

Icon 3 posted      Profile for ice_magick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've known my best friend since the 3rd grade (we're in 8th now). For a year or so I've been attracted to her. I don't know her orientation, as I've never seen her with anyone (male or female).How do I tell her how I feel?
Posts: 34 | From: Baltimore,MD,21214 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found myself in the same situation recently, and I can honestly say that it's a tough situation. I've chosen personally to keep my feelings to myself, simply because of bad timing, and I happen to like my friend very much as just a friend. I don't want to jeopardize that simply because I'm interested in taking our relationship to a sexual level; the fact that I have no idea what his orientation is also raises a problem. Live I've said, that's why I choose to keep my feelings to myself.

I have to say, though, that if you're truly, truly interested in persuing the relationship on that level, that utmost honesty is required. Communicate your feelings in a direct and private way. Just understand that, as with any relationship like this, there is some risk.

Ultimately, you have to weigh the pros and cons of the situation, and decide whether or not you're willing to accept the risk of losing the friendship.

It's a tough situation, I really understand. Just, before you make any decision, think very hard about wehther or not you're willing to accept the risks of attempting to go forward.

------------------
Tim

"Conversation, like certain other portions of anatomy, works best when lubricated." -- the Marquis de Sade (Quills)

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the parts of the fabled gaydar is to measure gay-friendliness of attitudes.

Take some LGBT issue and ask her opinion on it. For instance, you could ask about the anti-discrimination legislation pending in New York State right now--some people want to add language to the bill for it to cover transgendered people as well, and others say that doing so will eliminate its chance of passage, and it should remain simply GLB. (That's from The Advocate, if anyone's curious.)

If your friend is against the whole bill, she's probably not a lesbian. But otherwise, she's at least open to the GLBT community, and you can have a stimulating conversation before deciding whether to tell

------------------
Sapphire Cat
The world needs me, to know not everyone is the same.
Artist, poet, programmer, dreamer, and crossdressing bondage kitty

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ice_magick
Neophyte
Member # 7369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ice_magick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you :-)
Posts: 34 | From: Baltimore,MD,21214 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.