Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Lover's a survivor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lover's a survivor
Peregrine
Neophyte
Member # 6762

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Peregrine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My lover is a survivor of domestic abuse- I knew her while she was in the relationship in question, she finally escaped her ex girlfriend about six months ago. She was in this relationship for a number of years, starting when she was very young.

I'm very concerned about something that she sometimes does when we are together- she tries to get me to make decisions for her, when asked to decide things for herself she can become very upset, especially if she is under stress. It's pretty clear that this is probably because she is not used to making decisions for herself- her ex was very controlling, but I don't know how to respond to her indecisiveness. I don't want to make choices for her, on big things or on little things but I don't want to see her upset either. Has anyone else been in a situation like this?

Posts: 3 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CuriouS GeorgE
Activist
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CuriouS GeorgE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can sympathize.... I've never been with anyone in a relationship who was abused but a very VERY close friend of mine who I've known for many years and it's tough. I don't want to say anything because I know for a fact that it would only make the situation worse and I know people are going to read this and say I'm wrong, but trust me, it will make it worse.

Anyways. Enough about me. If I were in your place, I would probably sit down with her and explain that you care about her a great deal, and eventhough you want the best for her, you can't make all her decisions for her. Then maybe go on to explain that you'll be there for her and help her, but not make any decisions for her, big or small. How long ago did she get out of this relationship? Don't jump to conclusions, she may just need some healing time. Hope that helped a little!

------------------
CuRioUs GeoRGe

Love is an irrisistable desire to be irrisistably desired.
-Robert Frost

Posts: 76 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShaddowBoxer
Neophyte
Member # 6734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShaddowBoxer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been in a situation like this as I haven't had a girl friend since I was in about the seventh grade. However, you could try to help her make simple decisions. For example, go out for breakfast and ask her to pick where you both should go. Then ask her what she would like to eat. Maybe if you guys like shopping, hit the mall and ask her what kind of clothes she likes... "Do you like this? What about this?" With out letting on what you like before she answers. (She'll be more likely to cling to what you said... like she wants to please you.) You could do numerous things, little by little until she gets her voice.

Best Wishes

Posts: 5 | From: Middle of Nowhere | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.