Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Famous Role Models (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Famous Role Models
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got any GLBT(Q) role models that have inspired you?

I was trying to think of one earlier and it just wasn't happening. It's kind of sad.

------------------
I am not who I appear to be.

Gaffer--from under the moon backstage

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three cheers for Nathan Lane! I guess he hasn't exactly inspired me because I can't act(both literally and mentally), but he's really cool. There's speculation that Shakespeare was queer, since a lot of his sonnets were written to guys, not that that says much from my point of view. I'd call him a role model. I think I saw a list somewhere of all these famous people who were queer, of course now I can't remember it. Me and my too-small brain.

------------------
"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were some early feminists that were queer. The author of "The Yellow Wallpaper" short story was one of them, but her name escapes me. I think Christina Rosetti was great, but I'm unsure if she was queer.

In more recent times, I'd say Angelina Jolie, Rupert Evrett & Drew Barrymore are three people who have gone to the top, and not tried to hide their sexuality in any way. The same could be said of Elton John.

Hugs & Scully & Reyes,
Winnie :0)

[This message has been edited by gillians_gal (edited 01-10-2002).]

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waitwaitwait...Drew Barrymore is queer? (Sorry this is off topic)
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I miss an interview or does my gaydar have a blind spot when it comes to Drew Barrymore?

------------------
"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, she had a relationship with Courtney Love a few years ago. She's bi (or she was then).

Hugs & Scully & Reyes,

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

[Still off-topic] Oh. I missed that entirely. Kurt Kobain and Courtney Love used to live about three blocks away from me in Seattle. The fence was covered in "I love Kurt Kobain."

------------------

Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Angelina Jolie. She's cool, and she's so blase about it

"I fell in love with someone and it happened to be a woman"

I mean, gorgeaus, cool(but a little psycho), and blase. What more do u want?

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
violet
Neophyte
Member # 4577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh wow. oh wow oh wow oh wow. courtney love and drew barrymore? excuse me while i pass out. ****in yay! well i'm off for some quality alone time

[Edited by Gaffer for language that slipped past the netnanny]

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 01-06-2002).]

Posts: 29 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
violet
Neophyte
Member # 4577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, i'd just like to apologise for yesterdays post. perhaps a little too much information for some. oopsie. but wow...
oh and i just found what looks to be a great website. not exactly to do with this thread, and i just got there so i haven't relly checked it out properly yet, but theres loadsa vey nice rock and roll type ladies.
it is: www.absolutedivas.com

Posts: 29 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sh!mmeR!ng*staR
Activist
Member # 6475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sh!mmeR!ng*staR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Angelina Jolie- i LOVE her take-no-sh!t attitude, she's a great athlete, brave, and sooooo hot.

Sappho- notice my signature I just think she was a lovely woman, very intelligent, & a great poet at that.

Ani DiFranco- she's bi isn't she? i luv her, she's such a talented singer & I love how she's so tough and calm.

------------------
Prosperity that
the golden Muses
gave me was no
delusion: dead, I
won't be forgotten
-Sappho

Posts: 97 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maharet
Activist
Member # 3806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maharet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't really a person that I admire, more like a few characters. (I don't know thier orientations in real life), anyway, there's an Australian drama about a bunch of 20somethings in Melbourne called the Secret Life of Us. I don't know if it's made it outside the country yet, but anyone in Australia, I urge u to catch this one (repeats on channel Ten Mon&Tues 8:30). There are 2 gay characters, Richie and Simon, (they're not a couple). Richie goes thru a rocky coming out period, telling his g/f Miranda etc etc, and Simon's out, very comfortable, with an excellent dry wit. As far as realistic portrayals go, it's the closest I've seen so far.

------------------
"If you don't like gays, then they're everywhere, coming out of the woodwork to corrupt little children... but if you are gay, especially if you're in high school, you're the only one in the universe..."

Posts: 66 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I can put myself at risk of looking like a great big suck-up, I would have to say that the bi-sexual 'role model' who has been most influential in my life is our very own boardmom...Miz Scarlet, AKA Heather Corinna. Maybe not universally famous, but certainly something of a celbrity around here.

I doubt that I'd be half as knowledgable about sexuality and comfortable with my own if it wasn't for this site, and her part in it. It seems odd that someone the other side of the world who I'll probably never meet has changed me and helped me so much. Almost everything that I read of hers inspires me in some way, and I think that's pretty damn rare (especially considering that I am an exteremely stubborn 16 year old who doesn't wish to be inspired/influenced/changed by anyone).

So, she's definitely one of my 'role-models'/heroines, and I'm honestly not saying that to win brownie points. I will now be running off to find some money to donate in an effort to support her wonderful work.

Wow, that sounded like sucking up. But it aint, it came from the heart.

------------------
You wanna save humanity, it's just the people you can't stand-John Lennon

Witness the infinite justice of the new century. Civilians starving to death whilst waiting to be killed.

Manky Confuddledness-My new, improved Blog.

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Aw, BJadeT, that was sweet. Seven cheers for Miz S![ordinary people get three cheers. Extraordinary ones get seven]

------------------

smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

How could I forget Miz S?!

Seven cheers!

Hugs & Scully & Reyes,

Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7 cheers right here too!! Thanx Miz S!
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always admired Melissa Etheridge quite a bit. Okay, and so I have a huge crush on her, too.

And I whole-heartedly agree with everybody else who's mentioned our very own Heather as a role model. She rocks!

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotbuttered101
Activist
Member # 5538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotbuttered101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Kathryn...Melissa Ethridge all the way. I've always kind of seen her as the 'mother' of all lesbians. I suppose I like her because she isn't stereotypical and she seems pretty cool. Okay...So she is hot as well. That's just a bonus though
Posts: 86 | From: South Africa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a buncha big sweeties I have here! Thank yoiu guys. You made me all weepy, BJade.

You know, I was trying to think of who MY GLBT role models were growing up, and you know, I couldn't thinnk of a single one off the top of my head who was a celebrity, rather than someone I knew in life (My 7th grade social studies teacher who also taught me yoga early in the mornings before school would be top on that list in the early--influences group).

I think a lot of the musicians that I idolized were very pansexual (Bowie, Jagger, Annie Lennox in the early days, Lour Reed, Billy Bragg, etc.) but it wasn't very clear and it was far more general. except for Boy George. Really, he was out, queer and just bloody fabulous. Still is, bless'im. So hey! Look how lucky you are to have so many people to look up to in that respect! Neat!

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nappyafrochik
Neophyte
Member # 11950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nappyafrochik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
me'shell n'degeocello. that's all i gotta say.

------------------
--->O_o<---

Posts: 20 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fly_little_wing
Activist
Member # 8684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fly_little_wing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about Rosie O'Donnell? I love how she took an interest in that Florida gay couple. They have a number of children that they've cared for their whole lives, yet they're not allowed to adopt them because their gay. This whole situation basically outted her, and I think she's just so amazing and brave.

------------------
And now she's walking through the clouds with a circus mind that's running wild. ~ Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales. ~ All she ever thinks about is riding with the wind. ~ When I'm sad she comes to me. ~ With a thousand smiles she gives to me, free. ~ 'It's alright, it's alright' she says. 'Take anything you want from me. Anything.'

Posts: 41 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A whole lotta folks are gonna disagree with me on this one, but I really dig Andrew Sullivan and Tammy Bruce. Both are openly gay political writers. Mr. Sullivan's work can be found in Time Magazine from time to time as well as many other publications and Ms. Bruce used to lead NOW in Los Angeles and have her own talk radio show.

------------------
Mmm ... crispy, delicious bacon.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randomgirl
Neophyte
Member # 12889

Icon 10 posted      Profile for randomgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alix Olson!! (For those of you who've never heard of her: http://www.alixolson.com/) She is the awesomest.

Oh oh, and Alison Bechdel, creator of the comic strip Dykes To Watch Out For. I wanna be a cartoonist just like her when I grow up. ^_^

I also admire Frida Kahlo a LOT.

[This message has been edited by randomgirl (edited 05-02-2003).]

[This message has been edited by randomgirl (edited 05-02-2003).]

Posts: 5 | From: miami, florida | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
This ia an old thread :-)

And no-one has written about a transsexual role model yet...

One of my GLBT role-models is a fellow New Zealander. She is Georgina Beyer. She is Maori and a former sex-worker, broadcaster and actor.

She is a MTF transsexual who underwent a full sex change operation in 1984.

In 1995, she became the first transsexual in the world to become a mayor.

In 1999, she became the first transsexual in the world to be elected as a member of Parliament. She served as an MP in the NZ parliament until retiring in 2007.

What an inspiring lady-
"What are the chances that a former prostitute could be elected a Member of Parliament, or of any parliament in the world, and what if that person were also a transsexual, the odds may seem insurmountable, but I am reported to be the world's first transsexual to hold such a position."

http://www.georginabeyer.com/bio.htm

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to mention an almost unknown person, Lynn Conway in the trans category. Ms. Conway's work, first at IBM then at Xerox PARC, made high speed computing possible. Without her work, we would have no internet and thusly, no Scarleteen.

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/conway.html

--------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, I'm going to be reading up alot on these people, georgina beyer sounds amazing!

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Bobolink, i read your link-
Ms Conway does sound like someone who is not only very accomplished in her field, but a strong person who openly supports other TG people.

Its interesting, looking at her photo initially, I never would have picked her as being TG.

And yeah, Georgina Beyer is amazing. There was a documentary made about her in 2002 called 'Georgie Girl'. It went to a few GLBT film festivals.

She said once in an interview that she had never experienced prejudice from her parliamentary colleagues, even the conservative ones. That if anything, there had been more a sense of respect that against all the odds she had managed to make these sorts of achievements. And that makes me proud too, it makes me feel like we're making progress.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar Wilde. In an alternate universe where I was male and Lord Alfred Dougless didn't exist (or I pushed him off a cliff as an infant...either one), we would have been passionate lovers.

But on a more serious note, as a young writer, nobody has inspired me more. Wilde is the only writer who can bring tears to my eyes just for the sheer beauty of the language he uses. He had a talent that I haven't found in anyone else. He was an amazingly brilliant man.

Also, despite many of his life choices being morally questionable, I have to admire how he lived his life. He had had the courage to be himself in a society that wouldn't allow it, even though it ultimately destroyed him.

Also, Tony Kushner has inspired me a lot. Reading Angels in America got me to start playing around with writing dramatic scripts of my own, and I even won some awards for it. So, that's neat.

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tallia7793
Neophyte
Member # 39351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tallia7793         Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Patrick Harris always makes me smile, and I suppose my biggest lesbian role model is Dylan Meconis:* http://dylanmeconis.com/
She's not *celebrity* famous, but she's still quite a star [Big Grin]

And then Imogen Heap is my biggest role model just all 'round, but she's not gay (at least as far as I know [Wink] )

*And of course her best friend Erika Moen ( http://www.projectkooky.com/erika/ ), some fans of whose I've spotted around these boards previously [Big Grin]

Posts: 20 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
totentanz
Neophyte
Member # 42331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for totentanz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marlene Dietrich.
Natalie Clifford Barney.
Joan Baez (I believe she is bisexual?)

Posts: 7 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't do a complete list, but some of mine are/have been:

Heather, definitely. Susie Bright, Patrick Califia, James Baldwin, Alison Bechdel, Michael Cunningham, Daniel Mendelsohn, Judith Butler, John Boswell, Lillian Faderman, Patricia Highsmith, Mirah, Ani DiFranco, The Indigo Girls, Tracy Chapman, Bikini Kill, Sleater-Kinney and Michael Stipe.

[ 03-14-2009, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep thinking of more of mine...

Peaches, Allen Ginsberg, Sarah Dougher, Kay Ryan, David Sedaris, Tilda Swinton, John Cameron Mitchell, Sophie B. Hawkins, Tori Amos, Leisha Hailey, Lisa Cholodenko, Phyllis Christopher, Ellen DeGeneres, Alfred Kinsey, Carol Queen, Betty Dodson, Tristan Taormino, Shine Louise Houston, Octavia Butler

Yay queer people!

[ 03-14-2009, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan Cumming, Beth Ditto, Russel T. Davies, Antony Hegarty (of Antony and the Johnsons and Hercules and Love Affair), Rufus Wainwright, Betty Dodson, Michael Stipe, Courtney Love, Margaret Cho, Patrick Wolf, Shirley Manson, Kunihiko Ikuhara, Pet Shop Boys, Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Miz Scarlet, aka Heather Corinna, is also a role model.

Dave Grohl gets an honorary mention for all that androgynous dressing up.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Wow cool, long lists..I haven't heard of some of these people. Maybe you guys could explain what these people do, and why they're role models for you?

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Mostly, I'm inspired by how these people have created lives which are in alignment with their values. Heather's a big example of that for me.

Most of them are role models for me because of how they're able to communicate reality as they see it. They have a sort of intelligence and clarity that I really admire. There's a quote of Alison Bechdel's that I have written down in the back of my notebook that summarizes what I respect about these people: "Looking at the world and working to see what's actually there, not just what you expect to see, is a political act."

Also, for a lot of them, it's about how they look physically (gorgeous, strong, queer). Butch women in particular are role models for me.

Thinking about this I added some more names to my list, but I know I'm leaving out a bunch. There are a lot of famous queer people where I've only seen one of their essays/poems/stories/paintings/photographs or even just seen a single photograph of them, which has expanded my ideas about how I can be in the world.

It's feeling overwhelming trying to describe why exactly each one of these people are role models, so I'll just give a general idea of what they do. For some of them I'll note a work they've done which has been particularly significant for me.

Heather Corinna - Scarleteen founder/writer/sex educator/activist/artist
Susie Bright - writer/sexpert/sex educator
Patrick Califia - writer/BDSM activist/trans activist - "Public Sex" and a bunch of his erotica
James Baldwin - writer - "Giovanni's Room"
Alison Bechdel - writer/cartoonist
Michael Cunningham - writer - "The Hours"
Daniel Mendelsohn - writer/critic - I haven't followed him for a while, but in 9th or 10th grade I drooled over his reviews in the New York Review of Books and wanted to be him.
Judith Butler - queer theorist - "Gender Trouble"
John Boswell - writer/historian - "Same Sex Unions in Pre-Modern Europe"
Lillian Faderman - writer/historian
Patricia Highsmith - writer - "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (and sequels)
Mirah - musician
Ani DiFranco- musician
The Indigo Girls - band
Tracy Chapman - musician
Bikini Kill - band
Sleater-Kinney -band
Michael Stipe - musician
Peaches - musician
Allen Ginsberg - poet - "Howl"
Sarah Dougher - musician/professor/involved with Rock and Roll Camp for Girls
Kay Ryan - the current poet laureate of the US
Tilda Swinton - actor/openly poly (also has one of the best names ever)
John Cameron Mitchell - director and actor
Sophie B. Hawkins - musician
Tori Amos - musician
Leisha Hailey - musician/actor
Lisa Cholodenko - director - "High Art" and "Laurel Canyon" are two favorite movies of mine
Phyllis Christopher - photographer - It's not just Christopher's work, but "Nothing But The Girl: The Blatant Lesbian Image" had a big effect on me.
Ellen DeGeneres - actor/comedian/celebrity/icon
Alfred Kinsey - sex researcher
Carol Queen - writer/sex educator/sexologist - "The Leather Daddy and the Femme"
Betty Dodson - writer/sex educator/artist
Tristan Taormino - writer/sex educator/creates porn from both sides of the camera
Shine Louise Houston - maker of indie queer porn
Octavia Butler - writer - I don't think she ever came out, but I'm virtually positive it was common knowledge she was a lesbian. "Lilith's Brood"
Margaret Cho - comedian
Coco Peru - comedian
Adrienne RIch - poet
Armistead Maupin - writer
Lynn Breedlove - musician/writer
Scott Thompson - comedian/actor
E.M. Forster - writer - "Maurice"
Virginia Woolf- writer - "A Room of One's Own"
Lily Tomlin - comedian/actor
Kate Clinton - comedian
Christopher Dallman - musician
Shar Rednour and Jackie Strano - porn makers
Elizabeth Bishop - poet
Big Mama Thornton - musician
Melissa Etheridge - musician
Peter Cashorali - writer - If you want to read something that always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, check out "The Ugly Duckling" in "Fairy Tales: Traditional Tales Retold for Gay Men."
Bessie Smith - musician
Frances Faye - musician
Girlyman - band
Kris Kovick - cartoonist
Leslie Feinberg - writer/activist

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.