Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Meet The Parents

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meet The Parents
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, not the movie. I'm talking about bringing home a girlfriend (if you're a girl) or a boyfriend (if you're a guy) for the first time, and how your parents react to seeing you in a queer relationship.

Did you come out to your parents first? Did you tell them you'd be bringing along your significant other, or did you just show up on their doorstep and say "hi, meet <insert name here>!" and let them figure it out? Did they freak, or did they welcome your partner and act like it was nothing out of the ordinary? How did your boyfriend/girlfriend/love interest deal with being around your family?

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform." - Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beka
Neophyte
Member # 6375

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Beka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can not say that i have introduced my girlfriends to my parents because i am still in a very small and dusty closet, but i would say maybe you should meet her parents first if she is also out. or possibly just do the same thing that you have always done with guys, but remember no strong affection in front of them that will drive them away. i hope that i was of some help.

------------------
Normality is a curse for the weak!!!!

Posts: 5 | From: Palm Springs, CA, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my cousin is a lesbian, and she always brings her girlfriends to our family gatherings. our generation of sibs and cousins is very aware of her orientation, but it seems that our parents are totally oblivious. they blithely acknowledge the girl (my cousin doesn't stay in any one relationship for too long) as a friend. I'm always nice to the girl. i think it's pretty cool 'cause she gets to bring her partners home. but the rest of us gals (most of us cousins are hetero girls) can't bring our boyfriends home without a lot of problems.

------------------
srm? wtf? iyhta ... rtfm!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.