Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Any close calls?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any close calls?
Hotbuttered101
Activist
Member # 5538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotbuttered101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you aren't out yet, or before you were out, did you have any close calls when family/friends almost found something that pointed at you being gay/bi/les when you did not want to come out? I'm bi but I am definately not ready to come out yet.

Yeterday, I was on the internet and I saw this huge cockaroach/beatle like thing. Now...I'm not usually scared of bugs...But I despise cockaroaches *shudder* and things that I can't even define scare me even more. So...Well...I screamed. I ran downstairs, called my dad and basically acted like someone was trying to kill me. Then I remembered that I was on technodyke.com and if my dad saw that it would have been rather incriminating (I don't think my dad would react badly...I'm just not ready to tell my parents). I ran upstairs with new found courage, and disconnected from the internet...Just before my dad came to save me from the big bad bug. Don't worry...The bug was not killed...

------------------
"No-one goes there anymore-it's too crowded." [img]http://usuarios.tripod.es/missboogiewoogie2/bigrins.gif[/img]

Posts: 86 | From: South Africa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzpenguin
Activist
Member # 5272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzpenguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the time. It's really scary.

------------------
jz

Posts: 59 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenaSuperStar
Neophyte
Member # 4051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JenaSuperStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my good friends know about me. The problem is, one of my cousins knows and talks. I don't really mind, because I can easily deny it, if it happens to fall on a wrong persons ears.

My aunt owns her own Beauty Salon and can easily spread rumors, and hear them. She heard about me and my girlfriend. (everything did work out, by the way) I went over to her salon recently to get my 7 inch long hair, to a great 2 inches short. She asked me if I had a girlfriend. I quickly denied it. If I had not lied to her, she would have quickly called my mother and told all of my city.

Thank heavens for my best friend who pretends to be my boyfriend!

CLOSE CALL

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~JenaSuperStar~~~~~~~~~~

"Cos I used to be a superhero... no one could touch me, yeah not even myself.... you were like a phone booth that i somehow stumbled into... now look at me I am just like everybody else!!!"

-Ani Difranco

Posts: 36 | From: Brownsville,TX,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally it's just the usual close-calls. Forgetting to erase technodyke off the memory, hiding queer pride stickers, telling my parents I'm going to a religious youth group when I'm sneaking into a building with a rainbow flag.

However, a few of my queer friends had very very close calls. This one guy I know is the leader of a youth GBLT group and spends a lot of time at The Center. One day his cell as out of minutes so he called home from the center's phone, forgetting that his parents had caller ID! He got out of that one by saying that the building was formerly a GBLT center and they hadn't switched it with the phone company. *sigh*

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

I want you to be free don't worry about me

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cathexis
Activist
Member # 5706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cathexis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never 'came out of the closet' because I never thought it was necessary. I dont hide Im bi nor I deny it, but I dont see any reason to actually tell everybody unless needed - its just as normal as saying I brush my teeth or that I go to school, etc.
I wasnt sure if my parents knew, tho. They ARE quite libreal, and my mom always joked about me getting 'a boyfriend or a girlfriend'. ( o.O'') I thought she was only joking, since she had no way of knowing about my..little adventures with girls, until she came and told me SERIOUSLY she didnt mind it if I dated a girl, she was just sorry for the pressure society could put on me. I dont think many people have the luck I do. ^_^
Parents DO know a lot more than let show it....

Posts: 106 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la jaunty bohemian
Activist
Member # 5735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for la jaunty bohemian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
::laughs::

I took my partner, who is transgendered, home to eat dinner with my family and pick up some personal belongings. While I'm out to my mom and my brother, I haven't officially had "the talk" with my dad. [I have a pride sticker on my car and belong to the GLBTA organization at college; he knows both these things. We still haven't talked]

I introduced my love as "a friend."

Anyway, he and I started talking with my dad, who avoided pronouns the whole time ["So you're a 19-year old... person?"] but was pretty much under the assumption that my love was a biological boy. When my love let it slip that he applied to a women's college, the look on my dad's face was priceless.

Nothing actually came of the situation, but there was an awkward silence at the table after that... We laughed about it on the ride home.

Posts: 105 | From: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twisted mister
Neophyte
Member # 5806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted mister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
::blink blink::

la jaunty bohemian... you're so my girlfriend. i knew that story sounded familiar. wow, small world.

my own close-call stories mainly involve people randomly calling me "he" in front of people who have no clue that i'm a wee bit gender variant. but my personal favorite occurred when i was about 15 and a (male) friend of mine came to pick me up so we could go hang out somewhere. i ran over to hug him and bit his ear seductively because that's my fun random greeting, and he, apparently a bit freaked out by this display, shouted "aren't you GAY?!" and lo and behold, my little sister was standing in the driveway. ha! many laughs were had by all... years later.

Posts: 10 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The closest I've come is having people walk by right after I'm scrawling messages on the pavement in chalk, or when writing "Clothing can't define orientation" by Bell Hall with people looking out the door.

Not that this is on topic, but it made me feel really alone to see all the pro-LGB messages without any T being mentioned.

------------------
Sapphire Cat
You can love me or hate me, but it won't change who I am.

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My close call was all my own stupid fault. I was chatting to a friend of mine under an alias "Blondie bi girl"(I was bisexual that month) and I was in the gay teen room in yahoo when my mother decides she wants to send an e-mail. She barges in, without warning. I rush to close the Internet explorer. What happens? My computer stalls!!!!! She stares at the screen, somehow, avoiding the room I was in(I had the name covered with the IM message with the grace of God) and she didn't really see the IM. I started screaming(very discreet) and shouting at her to get out and to stop invading my privacy!!! She gives out to me for shouting at her, and the damned IE 5 won't go away!!!! Eventually I shut off the monitor and my mam goes away. The screen shut down and I let her send that bloody e-mail. I have never been so scared in my entire life. It took about an hour before my hearts stopped stampeding around my chest. I deleted the alias and I haven't been to that room since. And I only come to this site when they're out. At least I learned from the experience.

Slayer_gurl

------------------
Do not try to find out who I am, I am a shadow and you are the light, wherever you are I cannot be...

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were on this class trip, and basically my very small(4-5 people) group of friends knew I was a lesbian, but not officially, I'd take part in the "which of the girls in this anime is the cutest?" debates, and so on and so forth. One of my friends, Kevin, knew because of a random fluke. One of the guides for the camping portion of the trip made us do a talking circle, where you sit in a circle and pass something around, allowing everyone to talk. All night I did these analogies about how you shouldn't be a bigot. So finally, Kevin, who was before me in the circle, says "I think she's[me] about to tell us something." I could have clobbered him. I practically tore the rock from his hand and said, "I'm not about to say ANYTHING! I'm not going to tell you guys anything!" I went bright red, too(luckily it was dark). After the talking circle, I was yelling at him for fifteen minutes, that's how mad I was. My class was kind of shocked, needless to say.
--Haruka

------------------
------------------------
"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.