Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Misinterpretation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Misinterpretation
jazzpenguin
Activist
Member # 5272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzpenguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gay. And I'm starting to come out. But some of my male friends, particularly younger ones, are interpretting any sort of physical fondness as sexual affection.

Yesterday I was at a school "funday" (cakes, juggling, music - you know the sort of thing) and a friend of mine, who is 3 years younger than me, tagged on to me throughout the day.

I really like him - he's a fun guy - but not in a sexual way. And I'm the kind of person who shows their affections physically - tumbling, play-fighting, hugging when I greet somebody - but he kept asking me whether I was trying to make a move on him.

This is not the only time this has happened. How do I make it clear to people whether I'm making a pass at them or just being friendly?

------------------
jz

Posts: 59 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Scarleteen.

Hmmm, tricky question now. I guess people could ask you and you could tell them. Or you could tell them anyway. Or it might not even come up. If someone kept asking me if I was flirting with them and I wasn't, I'd probably tell them something to the effect of I'm not flirting with you, you're just bigheaded (of course this would be done jokingly, er, the conceited bit at least). And that is my excellent take on the situation.

No logic was harmed in the making of this post. It was just sent far away.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've often contemplated getting "I'm bisexual, and I'm not attracted to you" tattooed across my forehead. Or at least buying the t-shirt.

Seriously, though, what I've always done is just be very careful to avoid doing anything that could be mis-interpreted as a sexual or romantic advance around my nervously straight female friends. And when I come out to people like that, I usually tell them upfront that I'm coming out to them because I don't want to hide part of who I am, not because I'm trying to make a move on them.
Kythryne

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get that a lot too. I'm bi, I'm a chick, and I'm a very affectionate/touchy person. I love holding my friends or rubbing their backs or walking hand-in-hand, even if they're just friends and I have no attraction to them whatsoever. Since most of my friends aren't entirely hetero, it's not really a problem, but sometmes people mistake my affection for flirting. If I think they're taking it the wrong way I'll just jokingly say to them, but entirely point blank, "Just so you know, I'm not hitting on you. I mean, you're cute and all, but you're not my type." A wink and a smile later, we're just laughing and going back to regular times. Even with my close straight friends, every now and then I give them a little reminder that I'm not interested in them, just so they know.

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My roomamte is a lesbian, and almost without fail, the first thing people ask when they find out is whether she hits on me, or if we 'dyke out'. Nope. She talks about girls with me, but she also talks about boys, cats, Tupperware, and everything else. We hug and play with each other's hair, but that's not a sexual thing. She's got a girl she likes in another city, and I'm not the one for her, nor she for me. It's not like being heterosexual means a girl's going to sleep with every guy she knows, or like straight guys like every single girl they see, so why would it be any different for GLBT people? You might want to try to explain it that way, 'cause it's true, and seems an easy way to do it.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.