Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Kids Views On Gay?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kids Views On Gay?
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, this is a little late, but you know in the past there was a lot of controversy about certain FICTIONAL charecters on kids TV shows, saying that they're gay, which is a bad influence on the children. Did you have any queer people/TV charecters/movie charecters around for your childhood? How did that effect you? Do you think it effects most kids?

I can't say that I really remember having any gay people around when I was a kid, although I always thought that Blossom and Six from the show Blossom were having a little behind the scenes fun. As to how television and queerness effect children, I don't think it really does. They're not going to think "that's dirty and wrong" unless someone tells them that it is. And if they end up being gay, they'll think that they're "dirty and wrong" because someone told them another gay person was that way too. Which leads to a lot of icky feelings...

As for the teletubies, they have no genitals, they have no gender, and they have no sex lives. I think without those three things it's hard to call them gay.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PixieDust
Activist
Member # 4003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PixieDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...I have to play the devils advocate here. In no way do I feel that the television is influencing them to be gay. If anything it influences them to be who they really are, and I am sorry, but Ellen was my role model in the 7th grade. Without being able to laugh about my sexuality with her making her little jokes, I don't think I would have survived (I usally cried about my sexuality.)
So what I was going to say is children are actually proven to be the most influenced at the ages of 7 or 8. And my little (yes, very little) train of thought just left the station without me, so I don't know where it was heading. Just go along with it.

------------------
"We are the normal"-Johny Rznick

Posts: 86 | From: Las Vegas, NV, United States | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that television shows will merely give them exposure to diversity. Seeing a gay character in a movie led me to consider my sexual orientation in a way I hadn't before. It did not "make" me to be gay. All it did was help me figure out who I was by showing me all the different people out there and letting me come to the conclusion of who I am by looking at everyone else and who they are.

Like what's his name on Dawson's Creek, the guy who kissed another guy at the prom, I don't think anyone's orientation will change because they saw that--but a couple of kids will realize that all along they felt that way. This post is making less and less sense even to me as I type on, so I'll stop now.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CuriouS GeorgE
Activist
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CuriouS GeorgE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda agree here with Pixiedust. I don't think that a television show can make someone change their sexuality automatically. I think that's nonsense!! I do believe however, that maybe seeing or hearing about being bi/les/gay people on television shows can maybe encourage someone to sit down and really start thinking about their sexuality. I can't speak really from personal experience, because that's not really how I got to thinking about being bisexual. I guess for me, it was a mix of things. It kinda began with becoming more open with my own sexuality. Then my friend starting talking about bisexual encounters and other things like that, then me trying not to hide feelings I had for women, and lastly (but definitly not least) finding this glorious webpage!! (Believe it or not!)
I absolutely LOVED this webpage when I found it (and I still do!) I owe it all to my health teacher who recommended it for a project. This place really got me thinking about myself and I realized that it's ok to be different. (Different as in sexual orientation because, lol, I'm already unique!) So thanks Scarleteen!! I love this place!!
ANYWAYS! Bottom line, I don't think watching two guy kiss can make you gay or ANYTHING like that!!!

------------------
CuRioUs GeoRGe

Love is an irrisistable desire to be irrisistably desired.
-Robert Frost

Posts: 76 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey hey! I said the same thing PixieDust said! You're agreeing with me too! I said it wouldn't effect the kids unless someone told them what to think about it (like, if a kid is watching Will and Grace, and their parents come up and change the channel and say "don't watch those sinners") then it'll effect them. We're all on the same boat

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

real poetry is all based on this old myth about this beautiful, scary, trippy goddess who the poet wants to possess but he always loses her to this shadowy other guy - Girl Goddess #9

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I said the same thing too. So we're in agreement, right?

------------------
I am not who I appear to be.

Gaffer--from under the moon backstage

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think watching a TV show is going to change anyone's orientation. If anything, gay characters on TV are only going to make kids more open minded. I being an anime freak, I see lots of shows that have *drum roll* homosexual characters. A lot of them were meant for kids, and somehow I don't see all the little kids in Japan somehow becoming gay all of a sudden. Gay characters aren't going to "hurt" kids at all.
--Haruka

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was into BDSM and crossdressing long before I had words for the actions or feelings. Nothing I saw on TV or in books would've influenced me one way or the other.

It would be nice if we didn't have that crossdressing==gay idea. Perhaps the media could be the promoters of Truth and Knowledge for a change?

------------------
Sapphire Cat
You can love me or hate me, but it won't change who I am.

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I absolutely LOVED this webpage when I found it (and I still do!)

I totally agree with you, George! This site is the first place that I've ever been COMPLETLY truthful about my sexuality. But, I digress.

I agree with just about every other responder on this post: television shows won't influence children to be gay, but their parents/guardian's reactions will affect how they feel about gay, lesbian, or bisexual people. For me, though, shows like Will & Grace, Ellen, and more importantly Queer as Folk (I'm a junkie) have given me rolemodels to look up to, and shown me that yes, homosexuals actually do exist, and I'm not totally alone, even though I may feel that way here in Hicksville USA.

------------------
Tim (a.k.a. the dude)
-------------------------
"I am man who has grown from a son
Been crucified by enraged women
I am son who was raised by such men
I'm often reminded of the fools I'm among...
I am a man who still does what he can
to dispel our archaic reputation
I am a man who has heard all he can
Cause I don't fare well with endless punishment..." -- Alanis Morissette ("A Man")

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my parents always had a lot of GLBT friends, so I grew up surrounded by queer people. Therefore, I was never knew that anyone thought being gay was wrong. Imagine my shock upon entering school. I can't think of any TV/movie characters at the moment, although I'm sure that there were some. Except Bert and Ernie.
Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
B-b-b-b-er-er-t-t a-and E-e-ernie? *faints* Oh, dear god, my yaoi/yuri sublot conspiracy is correct. Did I mention my namesake, Haruka, and the red Tellitubbie(no, NOT the purple one)? Yeah, they're queer.

------------------
"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking about when I was a young child. Teletubbies weren't around then. And I hadn't yet discovered anime.
Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

*hugs indigodazed* Otaku power! God, I'm happy to see we've got representation around here. More queer anime characters? Well, here goes. Haruka, Michiru, Zoicite, Kunzite, Fisheye, Cain, Shido, Juri, half the people at Ohtori Academy in Revolutionary Girl Utena, Satsuki, Sorata, Gingetsu, Lan, Kamui, Fuuma... I could be here typing for hours.

------------------
"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Yay! I love hugs!
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

------------------
I don't want eternity. But Arashii is mine.

kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, TenohSetsuna and indiodazed? I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but this is veering a bit off topic, I'm afraid.

Please feel free to carry on the discussion on anime -- queer and otherwise -- in All About You if you wish...

Thanks.

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Yes, Kythryne, we'll shut up. Sorry.
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the first time I heard the word gay being used was on Murphy Brown, when they were "accusing" one of their co-workers of being gay. I didn't think there was anything dirty about it, until I told my best friend about it, who was two years older and she told me that the word for a gay female was a very very dirty word. That affected me, and it did for a long time, up until about last year, when I was freaking out over who I am. So, what I'm trying to say, in a very roundabout way is that I totally agree with both of the pixies and George,. The program won't affect kids, its what's said about them that will.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.