Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » bi: not legitimate?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bi: not legitimate?!
raven
Neophyte
Member # 262

Icon 8 posted      Profile for raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have known I was different since I was in elementary school, but didn't come out until last year(when I learned what being bisexual was). I am also pagan, and vegetarian, and very strong and open in all of my beliefs. I didn't say anything like, hey, guess what, I'm bi to anyone, but if people asked, I wouldn't deny it. Being a small town, it spread fast though, so now most of my school knows. Somehow, being bi isn't considered legitimate, though. It was all of a sudden "trendy" to be bi, and nobody could tell those who were being honest from those who were being "cool". So thanks to those who faked it, (not to be confused with those who are just working out their sexual orientations) I'm "not actually bi," I'm "just saying it because it's the cool thing to do". Supposedly "nobody's really bi". How the hell do people get these ideas!?!?!

sorry, this is more of a rant than a question, but dernit, it's pissed me off.

~Raven

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true. Unfortunatly, there is way too much prejudice agains bi gay and lesbian people, even today. Just look at that Mathew Sheppard case! You just have to have the courage to stand for what you believe in, and express your sexuality. If someone doesn't like it, that's just too damn bad for them!
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, bisexuality sure is legitimate. It's very hard for a lot of people to understand that yes indeed, some people just *are* bisexual and that we bisexuals *are* genuinely attracted to people of more than one sex or gender.

I've been out as bisexual since I was 15. To this day, I have to periodically remind my mother that I'm *still* bisexual... because she forgets. Since I live with my partner, and my partner is a man, my mother presumes I've gone heterosexual.

"No, Ma," I have to say every so often, "I'm still a big fat bisexual. I still look at girls. And boys. And transsexuals sometimes too. "

"Oh," my mother usually says. "I thought you'd finally made up your mind."

"No, mom," I end up replying one more time, "I made up my mind when I was 15 and I told you that I had figured out that I was bisexual. You're the one who needs to make up her mind to accept that, not me."

I recommend you get a hold of a wonderful book called "Bi Any Other Name" if you can. It's a great resource for bisexual folks.

If you need help getting a hold of that, or of the Bi Resource Guide (there's a new edition out), let me know, or go to www.biresource.org and check them out... they have an online bookstore there, too.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really sick to see how fast people are to judge us, and actually have the nerve to decide whether or not we are "legitimate"! What gives them the right to judge us anyway?
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Equinox
Neophyte
Member # 296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Equinox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think that some straights try to define being homosexual meaning that you are one gender but "feel" like you're another. I honestly think that some of my straight friends believe that all homosexuals are the physically the "wrong" gender, or trapped in the "wrong" body. I think that makes it easier for some of them to try to understand or relate to homosexuality.

So then you throw in bisexuality -- a preference that can't really fit into their "wrong gender" understanding and they get totally confused. So rather than accept what they don't undestand, some people just dismiss it. I've been told so many times (by both straights and gays) that I am just going through a phase, or that I'm "freaky" or a nympho who just loves sex. I've even been called "plain old greedy". But really, I just like people who make me feel good about being me. Doesn't matter whether that person has a penis or a vagina!

Posts: 27 | From: Connecticut, U.S.A | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mentalxashtray
Activist
Member # 416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mentalxashtray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm bi. not very openly, because i live in the wonderful homophobic suburbs, not to mentio in middle school open-minds aren't too common.

i don't think people get it. being bi means you're attracted to a person, not a gender. you don't limit your romantic choices. personally, i find it incredible.

-jeska

Posts: 62 | From: Here. I assume.. that you're there. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.