Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » Scarleteen Shutdown: A Heads-Up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scarleteen Shutdown: A Heads-Up
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before we said anything about this to the world-at-large, or even announced it on our blog -- which we will do in the next couple days -- all of us here wanted to fill you, our direct service users and our peer-to-peer community, in on this first.

Every year, we make one big, wide ask for donations. Because we serve millions of people each year and have a very wide internet reach, a lot of people see that ask. What we get from that big ask -- versus occasional reminders we are not supported by the government or any other funding institution, and the donation button at the top of every page of the main site every day -- is what potentially answers our funding needs for the whole year. It gives us, and tells us, what we have to work with for the next year.

We have never really raised what we have needed to, but historically have raised enough to be able to squeak by, so long as we all work very hard around here, with a lot of that work being barely compensated for or volunteered. Over the last couple of years, however, what we have gotten from that fundraising has been less and less.

And now this year -- we just did that big ask last month -- it pretty much literally resulted in NOTHING. In other words, we spent a small amount creating the ask, including the e-cards as a gift for people supporting us -- and while many people took the gift, and a lot of new traffic came our way, we did not even raise enough donations to cover the costs of asking. All the ask really seemed to do was bring some new users but without any additional funding to even sustain us in serving the users we have. As it stands, if there is no change in the level of donations we get, we can make it through another few months with all of our services, and thereafter only maintain a very limited version of Scarleteen.

We have tried many, many approaches to fundraising over the many years we have been around. But right now, looking at what we have to work with, we only see one real option left, and that's striking.

In other words, we are going to soon make clear how badly we need people to donate to keep us running, and if we cannot meet that need by May 1st, we are going to shut down a whole bunch of things on Scarleteen that we just can't keep doing without the funding to pay for them and pay for the labor they require and keep them shut down until we get what we need to run them and run them well.

That would include, I am afraid, all of our direct services -- the message boards, chat, the SMS service and the advice columns -- as well as the creation of any new content. With what we have, if that's all we are going to have to work with, all we really can do is maintain the content and work we have already created; we can't afford, in several ways, to keep any of these other services running.

We are very much hoping that our intent to strike makes clear how dire things are and how much people need to step it the heck up and pitch in and that people do step up in response.

We will keep all of you appraised of what is going on as we see how all of this goes, including how you, yourself, can help if that is something you would like to do (and we really hope it is: users not helping us out --- and we don't just mean financially -- has been part of the problem, especially over the last few years).

We really are hoping it does not come to this. Know that if it does, before we shut down any of our services, we will make sure we leave everyone with some alternatives so that you can still get your own needs met and not be without some help and support like we provide for you here.

Sorry to deliver potentially bad news, but again, we wanted to make sure you heard it from us first, and before we brought it to anyone else. We take serving all of you, and doing so well, very seriously, and please know we understand your need for all that we do. We can all assure you that even with this maybe-next move, our primary goal is to do everything we can to assure we can keep giving you what you want and need. We value all of you, which is why we wanted you to be the first to hear about this.

[ 03-03-2014, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorkmaiden
Neophyte
Member # 103905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snorkmaiden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, Heather, that's harsh. (Not you doing this, but you having to do this!)
As soon as I can get my hands on some money, I'm going to send you some. Every little bit helps, right?
The very best of luck to you all, I hope things improve on the financial front!

Posts: 17 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to donate and make a tumblr post linking to the donations page and reblog it and have my tumblr-famous friend reblog it to her page. Hopefully, we can spread the word about Scarleteen's need for donations! I really hope Scarleteen can stay open and I wish all the best for y'all!!
Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SinnamonShuga
Neophyte
Member # 109449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SinnamonShuga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is the donation page? I would like to donate.

--------------------
Kindest Regards,
SinnamonShuga

Posts: 38 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the top-right corner of every page on our main site, there's a little envelope that says "Donate Here!" That'll take you to our donation site.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SinnamonShuga
Neophyte
Member # 109449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SinnamonShuga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Molias!

--------------------
Kindest Regards,
SinnamonShuga

Posts: 38 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorkmaiden
Neophyte
Member # 103905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snorkmaiden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent you some monies and also blogged about this. Just getting the word out!
Posts: 17 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddleyLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im not sure if I can donate as I am a UK user?

[ 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: MaddleyLove ]

Posts: 199 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People can absolutely donate from the UK, and pretty much anywhere in the world [Smile] To donate online, a person needs to have a debit or credit card or a Paypal account. It's also possible to post cheques to Scarleteen's physical address.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much, all of you, for any and all support. If you check our front page and scroll to the blog block, you can also keep up with the updates on this easily.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thinkmcflythink4208
Neophyte
Member # 109558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thinkmcflythink4208     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have you guys thought about setting up a kick starter? it might be a good option.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've heard this suggestion several times, and it's not an available option, for various reasons. It's intended for specific projects and not for an organisation's standard running costs; Scarleteen, like most organisations, also needs some measure of ongoing, stable funding rather than or in addition to a one-off injection of funds.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Just to keep all of you in the loop, so far, this is going very well. Right now, this is what we are trying, obviously, in terms of fundraising, and it seems (knocking on all the wood) to be having a real impact.

What everyone here could do to help with that, that really would help, is to reach out in your own lives and networks as possible, telling people about the value of Scarleteen to you, that it needs support, and directing them to our blog from two days ago that talks about the strike.

We talk a lot about how valuable we know this is to you, but that is secondhand, and does not have half the power or impact your own words do. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sad to hear this Heather. I would love to help in any way I can! Ideally I'd love to contribute monetarily but as a student right now I am a little short-changed. But I will spread the word as much as possible and try to show as much support as I can.

Sending happy and positive vibes your way!

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

All of your words to people about how this has been of value to you really go a longer way than your dollars, and since we are dedicated to providing services for all of you for free, I usually also feel a whole lot better about that. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Good updates here!

http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2014/03/03/may_day_2014_scarleteen_strikes_or_with_your_help_we_dont

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"$36010.00 Raised"

Eee!!!

Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Yep, we did it! We got the minimum met. [Smile]

So, while we are still working to raise more, so we can be doing more than scraping by, by all means, NO shutdowns of our services will be happening anytime soon. [Big Grin]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Cnon
Neophyte
Member # 34034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cnon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations
Posts: 35 | From: somewhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So good to hear you surpassed your goal. You all do such awesome work and deserve to be able to focus on that and on the rest of your lives and selves, rather than making ends meet.

Congrats!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.